"Animus" was Anna Ripley's pepperbox pistol, her second designed gun. This gun was a vast improvement from Ripley's first design, Retort, as it has six barrels, unlike the Retort which only had four. Not only are there more barrels, but also one of the barrels is magically enchanted. A bullet fired from this barrel deals additional psychic damage to the target. When Animus jams, it deals 2d6 psychic damage to the wielder.
Animus is currently in the possession of Percy, who uses it as one of his main weapons.
The gun is similar in design to Percy's pepperbox pistol "The List". However, it is thinner, longer, and more refined. The gun is a deep gunmetal grey color with brass sections. It also has some whitestone built into it.
The demon of vengeance, Orthax, was bound to Ripley through Animus, much like he was to Percy through his pepperbox pistol "The List". The names of the people that Ripley sought vengeance against were inscribed on each of the barrels of Animus, just like on Percy's "The List". When Vox Machina encountered Ripley on Glintshore in "Cloak and Dagger" (5x12), two of the barrels were already blank, with no names on them. The other four barrels had the following names on them:
After Ripley dealt the finishing blow on Percy, his name vanished from the barrel in a puff of black smoke.
When Keyleth severed Orthax's connection to Animus via her Greater Restoration spell, the remaining names on the barrels vanished in a flash of shadow. However, when Percy later attuned Animus to himself, the names were still on the gun and vanished again with a dark glow. It's possible this was an error made by Matthew Mercer.
- As revealed by Matthew Mercer during the Fireside Chat, the names on Animus (except for Percy and King Dwendal) were the four people who had worked alongside Ripley while she developed military technology for the Dwendalian Empire. They discovered her illegal human experimentation into arcane diseases, and the four of them turned her in to the crown. Ripley was scheduled for court-martial before she managed to use what little magic she had to escape prison and flee the Dwendalian Empire.
- Based on the two blank barrels, it is apparent that Ripley had already acquired her vengeance on half of her former team before encountering Vox Machina on Glintshore. Ozwyn "Oz" Gruude and Richter Wells, along with King Dwendal, are the only survivors from Ripley's arrest.
- ↑ See "Cloak and Dagger" (5x12) at 3:34:28.
- ↑ See "Vorugal" (6x02).
- ↑ See "Passed Through Fire" (5x13) from 0:17:40 through 0:18:00.
- ↑ See "Passed Through Fire" (5x13) from 0:22:50 through 0:22:57.
- ↑ See "Passed Through Fire" (5x13) from 1:07:28 through 1:09:15.
- ↑ See "Trust" (6x01) at 3:01:29.