Caduceus Clay is a firbolg cleric. He is played by Taliesin Jaffe.
Caduceus is a seven foot tall "not necessarily healthily thin" firbolg with pale skin and grey fur. He has a shock of pink mohawk hair paired with a light fuzz of a beard. He wears a gentle silk shirt with one long flowy sleeve, dark green pants, and brown boots spotted with pink lichen.
Caduceus is jovial and dedicated. Long after his family abandoned the crypt they tended, he remained, ensuring that the graves of the dearly departed remained undisturbed while cultivating the plants that grew from those interred there seemingly for personal use. Kind and welcoming, he offered The Mighty Nein (then his house guests) tea before they even introduced themselves. Caduceus is also humorously blunt; as a follower of The Wildmother, he believes in the "natural order" and happily informed Beau that the leaves for their tea grew from the dead. He considered gauging time in seasons the only method that mattered.
Caduceus has proven himself rather unflappable and difficult to perturb. He has yet to show any emotion other than indifferent amusement to The Mighty Nein's exploits; whereas his fellows were either battle-focused or frightened during their battle with the ettin, Caduceus remained calm during the attack and displayed a typical passive joy after they had been defeated.
Caduceus lived with his family at the sanctuary like grave site of the Blooming Grove. Located within the depths of the Savalierwood, it was know by those of Shady Creek Run to the southeast as the Bone Orchard. Predating Shady Creek Run, and surrounded by the cursed blighted woods, the old stone church that stood there was surrounded by three consecutive rings of rusted fence built to hold back the continually encroaching razor-like grey-purple thorn vines, which had just breached the third fence in 835 P.D.
"Within the Nest" (11x03) Edit
Caduceus stated that he had several sisters, brothers, and his parents, but he did not know where any of them were. His family members had left the Blooming Grove one by one to find and fight off the source of the cursed blight that had overtaken the Savalierwood and had been encroaching on the Blooming Grove for over one hundred years. One of his sisters had been the last to leave to the east, which had been around 18 to 20 seasons ago.
Character Information Edit
- Swarm of Beetles
Firbolg Abilities Edit
- Firbolg Magic
- Hidden Step
- Powerful Build
- Speech of Beast and Leaf
Cleric Abilities Edit
- Channel Divinity (2 uses)
- Channel Divinity: Turn Undead
- Destroy Undead (CR 1/2)
- Divine Domain (Grave Domain)
- Ritual Casting
Domain Spells Edit
- False Life
- Gentle Repose
- Ray of Enfeeblement
- Vampiric Touch
Cleric Spells Edit
In addition to his domain spells, Caduceus has access to four cleric cantrips, the Spare the Dying cantrip, and 1st- through 3rd-level cleric spells. As a 6th-level cleric, he can prepare up to 11 of these spells per day. As part of the Grave Domain, Spare The Dying can be cast as a bonus action and as a ranged spell (30 foot range).
- Dispel Magic
- Spirit Guardians
Notable Items Edit
- A bag of tea leaves and flowers cultivated from the Blooming Grove grave garden
- A metal-like breastplate and shield made from pearlescent turquoise green-blue chitin. It is covered in lichen and was made by one of his sisters
- Blight Staff: A knotted wooden staff that was topped with a large uncut amethyst. Like his armor, it is covered in lichen and is described as being "wet" and "alive". This staff let's him cast Insect Plague (Quite possibly the Staff of Swarming Insects.)
- Tea Set
- Cooking set
- Herbalism Kit
- Garlic and spices
- Old broken blade from the Age of Arcanum (Obtained from Pumat Sol)
- Straw Hat (replaced by Jester after she stole his previous one)
- "Have you ever been in nature? Yes! Violence is extremely natural."
- "I'm just... I'm just gonna turn 'em into mulch. That's okay. Shhhhh..."
- Caduceus: "Something will be here."
Beau: "What did you just do?"
Caduceus: "I made the Earth remember him."
- Caduceus has the highest wisdom of all of The Mighty Nein.
- A caduceus is an ancient Greek or Roman herald's wand, typically one with two serpents twined around it, carried by the messenger god, Hermes or Mercury. Hermes also acted as a psychopomp, a being tasked with guiding the souls of the dead to the afterlife. The Caduceus acted as a key to the underworld, and as a tool to guide the deceased. The Caduceus is associated with healing in the US due to its similarity to the rod of Asclepius.
- His name may also be a reference to Cassius Clay, the birth name of Muhammad Ali.
- Caduceus claimed to be a good gardener, having grown lilies, bramble, mushrooms, and moss within the sanctuary of the Blooming Grove.
- Caduceus' resemblance to RPG designer Adam Koebel quickly drew comment from Adam, Matt, and Taliesin.
- While Caduceus' love of tea appears to be a reference to the last name of Mollymauk Tealeaf, and his official color palette matches that of Arizona Green Tea, Taliesin has stated that these relations are all purely coincidental, and Caduceus' habit of drinking tea was a spur of the moment decision he made moments before being introduced.
- Caduceus is Taliesin's first character in Critical Role not built on any character options created by Matt.
- Matt revealed on Twitter that the cantrip "Decompose" was custom created for Caduceus as a sort of flavor cantrip. 
- Taliesin revealed on Talks Machina that the pink on Caduceus' armor isn't flowers, but a specific species of moss.
- Awakening from a night's rest along the _ in the Menagerie Coast the Mighty Nein met a pet vendor heading north to Rexxentrum. During this interaction Taliesin expressed that he and Caduceus were in conflict over wanting to purchase the crimson weasel as Caduceus was a vegetarian.
- It can be assumed that Caduceus is a virgin, as it is implied that he is unaware of the sensation of "post-coital feeling[s]" Beau mentions when observing the dodecahedron in "Beyond the Boundaries" (11x07).
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #76" (TMx76).
- ↑ See "Within the Nest" (11x03).
- ↑ See "The Stalking Nightmare" (11x04). Caduceus heals the maximum possible number instead of rolling when healing someone at 0 hp, consistent with the first aspect of Circle of Mortality.
- ↑ See "The Stalking Nightmare" (11x04). Taliesin explains the Spare the Dying aspects of Circle of Mortality.
- ↑ See "The Journey Home" (11x05). Caduceus uses Eyes of the Grave.
- ↑ See "The Stalking Nightmare" (11x04). Caduceus casts Sacred Flame.
- ↑ See "Within the Nest" (11x03). Caduceus casts Thaumaturgy.
- ↑ See "The Journey Home" (11x05). Caduceus casts Decompose.
- ↑ See "Within the Nest" (11x03). Caduceus casts Cure Wounds.
- ↑ See "Within the Nest" (11x03). Caduceus casts Healing Word.
- ↑ See "The Stalking Nightmare" (11x04). Caduceus casts Blindness/Deafness.
- ↑ See "Beyond the Boundaries" (11x07). Caduceus casts Calm Emotions.
- ↑ See =11x04. Caduceus casts Spirit Guardians.
- ↑ See Adam's tweet from during the show riffing on the resemblance, Matt's tweet from after the show recounting when he first saw the art for Caduceus, and Taliesin's tweet from after the show responding to Adam's tweet.
- ↑ See Matt's response to a fan asking what cantrip Caduceus cast on Molly's grave.
- ↑ Official portrait of Caduceus Clay, by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Official full body portrait of Caduceus Clay, by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Caduceus Clay, by nelmdraws (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Caduceus Clay, by Anna Landin (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Caduceus, by BlackSalander (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan Art of Caduceus Clay, by Vanessa Dambach (source). Used with permission.