|This article is a stub. Please help the Critical Role wiki by expanding it, adding pictures, or improving existing text.
"Denizens of the Moonbrush" (5x05) is the fifth episode of the fifth chapter of Critical Role. The satyr guide, Garmelie, leads Vox Machina toward the cancerous tree that houses Fenthras, Wrath of the Fey Warden, one of the Vestiges of the Divergence. The journey through the Feywild presents several challenges, but the biggest and scariest threats aren't always the most dangerous in this strange realm...
- Before the episode began on Twitch, the updated Critical Role fan art appreciation video aired. This was excluded from Geek & Sundry's YouTube version of the episode.
Previously on Critical Role Edit
Vox Machina, in attempting to find ways to topple and destroy the Chroma Conclave, have found their way around the world seeking items called the Vestiges of Divergence—artifacts of great power that should aid them in their attempt to take down Thordak, the Cinder King, the red dragon that now sits lording over the central town of Emon in the kingdom of Tal'Dorei.
Their recent journey has brought them into the Feywild, a pseudo-parallel plane of fey magic, chaos, and all sorts of "goodness" in-between. They've wandered through, met an old friend in Nahla the nymph of the lake, discovered a fantastically artistically-talented satyr by the name of Garmelie, and had a trip to the city of Syngorn, the elven city from Tal'Dorei, which had phased into this realm for safety when the dragons of the Conclave attacked.
After a faithful re-meeting with the parents of Vex and Vax, discussions were had, hats were attempted to be stolen [from] the leader of the city—and successfully done so. The other half of agreements were... pseudo-achieved, and they made their way northward through the Evershifting Grasses to the outskirts of the Moonbrush, a heavy, heavy forested wood that will lead them to their destination after that, which is the Gilded Run, a series of rivers that wrap around their final destination, the Shademurk Bog, where apparently this Vestige exists.
You guys had managed to wander a few hours into the southern portion of the forest, of the Moonbrush. Coming through, you realize that, as opposed to the rest of the Feywild you've encountered so far, which exists in a perpetual dusk, there is an actual starry sky and moonlight poking through—a full moon—at portions of the canopy of this forest. Cruising ever-forward, you stumble upon what looked like some sort of a cave or a cavern, with a series of small stone and wooden trinkets and gifts that were left outside, as well as carved bones and rotting fruits. You came to realize that these were probably left for the spiritual entity that lived and existed within this cavern. Upon some of these gifts being disturbed, the bear attacked, and Vex'ahlia summoned forth Trinket, her faithful companion bear. A battle took place, putting Trinket in a difficult position, but upon a brief discussion with this spirit bear, had proven himself a worthy entity and was bestowed a boon, further solidifying the bond between Vex'ahlia and her faithful companion Trinket.
Part I Edit
While Percy investigates the bear spirit's cave, noticing that the stone was definitely worked by hands, Keyleth reflects on the nature of guardian spirits, which can form due to the accumulated force of the people's belief and worship over time. Vex'ahlia and Keyleth explain to the rest of the group that Trinket defended them from a bear spirit, but Grog wants to explore the cave. The party agrees that it would be a bad idea, but just as Grog resigns himself to skipping the adventure, Scanlan volunteers to accompany him.
Hoisting Scanlan over his back, Grog dashes into the cave and through a tunnel, ending up in a distant cavern. There, they find a circle of candles around a raised platform upon which rests a large, crystalline beast's skull.
- Backblaze is sponsoring Critical Role, so a promo aired during the break. Use backblaze.com/criticalrole to sign up for a free fifteen-day trial of the service.
Part II Edit
- After the episode ended on Twitch, the updated Critical Role fan art appreciation video aired.
- Backblaze is sponsoring Critical Role, so a promo aired after the fan appreciation video. Use backblaze.com/criticalrole to sign up for a free fifteen-day trial of the service.
Featured Characters Edit
Vox Machina Edit
- Percival de Rolo
- Scanlan Shorthalt
- Grog Strongjaw
- Unnamed Verdant Guard member (killed indirectly by Vox Machina)
- Unnamed dancing werewolf (killed indirectly by Vox Machina)
- Six unnamed wisher pixies (killed by Vox Machina)
- Mystic Iotha (elder wisher pixie; killed by Vox Machina)
- Jameson, Garmelie's uncle (mentioned only)
- Lord Ukurat, a member of the Fendir (also pluralized as "Fendirs")
- Unnamed Feywild bear spirit (mentioned only; see recap)
- Possibly named Oralon/Uralon; see Marisha Ray's question after recap and re-check "Heredity and Hats" (5x04).
- The Evershifting Grasses (mentioned only; see recap)
- Nahla (mentioned only; see recap)
- Tsoradun the Happy (mentioned only)
External Links Edit
- ↑ See "Denizens of the Moonbrush" (5x05).