Fjord (pronounced "Ford") is a half-orc warlock. He is played by Travis Willingham.
Appearance EditFjord wears beat-up leathers and piecemeal armor put together. He has a big scar across his face and green skin tone. His face changes to a lighter green complexion from his cheekbones down to his neck.  His orc tusks are chipped and filed down, and not visible when his mouth is closed.
Personality EditFjord is described as the strong silent type , and he tends to keep a cool and rational outlook. He is also very charismatic. Though willing to break rules when needed  , he seems to operate under certain principles of honor, claiming that he tries to be honest and he thinks people should do what they say they're going to do. However, when he raised the question with his other party members of whether they would hijack a caravan, Fjord told the thievery-prone Nott that he didn't want to change her behavior to be more lawful and that he might take her up on the offer to learn how to steal.
Fjord is also adept at acting, having used his talents in changing his voice and accent and his magical abilities to alter his appearance to get the party out of multiple sticky situations. Despite using a "country" accent (United States Texan English) around the other party members, he dropped the accent for a dream with his warlock patron ; this was confirmed as intentional by Travis, which suggests that Fjord is hiding his true accent from his companions.
Fjord was orphaned and grew up without his parents. As a child, Fjord was a chubby, short, mis-proportioned stumpy kid with big teeth, though he at one point did his own dental work to remove his tusks. Fjord had to continue filing down his tusks on a regular basis, but got teased about them less.
Fjord had at one point worked to take care of, load, and offload goods onto a ship called the Pink Giver.
Fjord claims to come from Port Damali on the Menagerie Coast where he worked as a sailor. At some point, sabotage sank a ship he was sailing on, and he made a pact with his patron. Fjord and Jester met about a week and a half before reaching Trostenwald.
Traveling along the Amber Road, on their way to study magic at the Soltryce Academy in Rexxentrum, the trio (Fjord, Jester, and Beau) saved the daughter of Rinaldo (a fisherman in Trostenwald) from a giant snake.
Chapter 9 Edit
Chapter 10 Edit
"The Hour of Honor" (10x12) Edit
When he learned that the Shuster children would likely be sent to an orphanage without the intervention of the Mighty Nein, Fjord insisted that they help the children reunite with their parents. In the ensuing conversation, he revealed the fact that he was raised in an orphanage and did not wish that fate on others.
"Divergent Paths" (10x13) Edit
Fjord was very pleased to see the Shuster family reunite, and wished them and Kiri well as they left.
In the middle of their first night on the road north of Hupperdook, Fjord, Jester, and Yasha were kidnapped by a group of humanoids led by a bald human. The three were manacled and caged on carts that took off into the night.
Chapter 11 Edit
"The Journey Home" (11x05) Edit
Upon being rescued by the Mighty Nein, Fjord that he, Jester, and Yasha had been tortured physically and mentally before being put to sleep with special manacles. During their time in captivity, Jester and he had kept close to each other after being separated from Yasha.
When the Mighty Nein got back to Zadash, Fjord talked to Caleb and Beau about how he felt that Jester came out fine while he felt deeply scared from his experience. He'd learned that going after the Soltryce Academy isn't what he should be doing and that he needed to focus on trying to find the people he'd lost.
Fjord's Hexblade Patron Edit
When Fjord made another weapon into his pact weapon, his falchion eventually absorbed the other weapon's properties. This is apparently what Fjord's patron meant by "consume."
According to Xanathar's Guide to Everything, which published the hexblade subclass, hexblade patrons come from the Shadowfell. However, the origin and nature of Fjord's patron have not been confirmed.
Fjord and Jester met in Port Damali, a little while before encountering the rest of the party. Jester called Fjord very handsome and Nott believed that they were romantically involved, but Jester asserted that their relationship had been platonic. After reading "Tusk Love", Jester started referring to Fjord as "Oskar" (after the Half-Orc character in the book).
Jester was also thoroughly impressed with how well Fjord can change his voice and accent. While Beau was out buying some cheap wine, Jester pulled the warlock aside and told him that she liked both of his accents. The first was the one that he put on in order to obtain passage to Crookedstone in Trostenwald which, according to her, sounds like he did in Port Damali. The second is the "Texan" accent that he has now.
Jester showed concern over Fjord's tusk filing and offered to support his choices about it.
Beauregard and Fjord met a day or two before the events of "Curious Beginnings" (9x01). Beau instinctively trusted Fjord by the time of "A Show of Scrutiny" (9x02), relying on his instructions in order to act more "manly" for a disguise. Fjord eventually started guiding Beau towards less hostile forms of social interaction, to mixed success. The two joined a meeting of The Knights of Requital together and didn't reveal what they witnessed to the other members of the Mighty Nein, though Caleb saw the first meeting they attended through Frumpkin.
Beau thinks that she and Fjord have similar moral perspectives.
During Midnight Espionage, they got into an argument over Caleb stealing a spell scroll and potentially exposing the operation. Caleb walked away without the scroll when Fjord held his falchion to Caleb's throat and prepared to cast "Eldritch Blast" at Nott.
Nott hoped to steal Fjord's letter of recommendation to the Soltryce Academy for Caleb to use instead. Fjord set a trap after Nott's initial theft attempt, learning of this and Nott's motivated attachment to Caleb when Molly charmed Nott. Afterwards, Nott treated Fjord with hostility.
Molly and Fjord had a friendly relationship, often being roommates at inns. Fjord wanted to learn about Molly's ritual with his swords and asked to join in.
After being rescued from the Iron Shepherds and learning that Molly had died, Fjord was saddened and took Molly's sword up in remembrance. He made Summer's Dance his pact weapon to honor Molly's memory.
Character Information Edit
Fjord is on his way to the Soltryce Academy in the hopes of learning more magic there and more specifically about his powers. But since episode 145, after being rescued from Lorenzo, Fjord has stated that he may not want to go to the Academy anymore.
Notable Items Edit
Current Items Edit
- This weapon was not revealed by Caleb's Detect Magic spell because the Falchion in itself was not magical.
- When Fjord invoked Hexblade's Curse against a target, the blade of his falchion transformed from polished metal to a barnacle-covered blade that sourcelessly dripped water as if it had just been pulled from the ocean. The sword disappeared when Fjord established his Pact of the Blade. When he summoned the weapon for the first time, it appeared in its transformed state.
- The Falchion seems to be a part of the pact with his Patron as it absorbed the power of the Waste Hunter Blade and took on some of the physical qualities of it.
- Absorbed the power of Summer's Dance Scimitar after staring at it. This caused the power of the Waste Hunter Blade to disappear from the falchion.
- Piecemeal Leather Armor (notably without pockets). This armor received the Mariner's Armor enchantment in favor of the actual Mariner's Armor.
- A letter of recommendation to the Soltryce Academy received from Starosta Kosh.
- Cloak of Protection bought from The Invulnerable Vagrant.
- +1 Shield. A beautifully crafted diamond shaped shield with a gold border, and two gold lion heads facing away from each other on a metallic graphite field. (Bought from The Invulnerable Vagrant)
- Component pouch
- Bag of Holding looted from Lorenzo's room
- Magical Manacles looted from the torture room
- Orc tusk found in bag of holding
- The Cloven Crystal 
- A broken sword, found in the Subterranean Tunnels of The Labenda Swamp
Former Items Edit
Scorching Ray Gauntlet (traded to Caleb for the Mariner's Armor) 
Waste Hunter Blade (absorbed by Fjord's falchion, destroyed by absorbing Summer's Dance.)
Unless otherwise noted, the following abilities are assumed from the standard Dungeons & Dragons materials:
- War Caster 
Half-Orc Abilities Edit
- Relentless Endurance 
- Savage Attacks
Warlock Abilities Edit
- Eldritch Invocations (3)
- Otherworldly Patron (Hexblade)
- Accursed Specter
- Expanded Spell List 
- Hexblade's Curse 
- When Fjord first invoked the Hexblade's Curse against a target, the blade of his falchion transformed from polished metal to being covered in barnacles which grow down towards the hilt. Additionally, the blade began to sourcelessly drip water as if it had just been pulled out of the ocean. Since Fjord made the falchion his pact weapon, these changes appear to have become permanent.
- Hex Warrior
- Pact Boon: Pact of the Blade
- Rather than creating a new weapon or performing a ritual on an existing weapon , Fjord's mysterious falchion disappeared during a dream in which he met his patron. Upon waking, he was able to summon the falchion as a pact weapon.  It absorbed weapons he performed rituals on. Matt has mentioned that a weapon absorbed by the falchion changes it's damage die to that of a falchion, a reskinned longsword 
- Pact Magic (Charisma-based spellcasting)
Warlock Spells Edit
As a level 6 warlock, Fjord knows three cantrips and seven spells. He only has two 3rd-level spell slots for those seven spells, but he regains his spell slots on a short rest.  He can replace the spells he knows when he gains a level, so he no longer knows all of these spells.
- Crown of Madness
- "We need to drop this fucker and get the hell out of Dodge." (Fjord after attacking the zombie in the second battle)
- "Is that single horse a, uh...a mustang?" (how Fjord met Shelby the Mustang)
- "They call me eagle eye Fjord where I come from. [cawing] Crow Fjord, maybe raven, you don't know." (Fjord letting the party know he has keen vision)
- Fjord has the lowest dexterity and lowest wisdom of all of The Mighty Nein, including Frumpkin.
- However, Fjord has the highest constitution and highest charisma of all of The Mighty Nein.
- Travis made the first roll of the campaign, with a natural 20 as the result.
- Fjord is allergic to cats, as is Travis.
- Due to his status as a hexblade warlock and his thick Texan accent, many Critters have given the nickname "Texblade" to Fjord. 
- A fjord is a long, narrow inlet with steep sides or cliffs, created by a glacier.
- Etymologically, it is related to the Norse verb ferd (travelling/ferrying) and the Norse noun fjǫrðr, meaning a "lake-like" waterbody used for passage and ferrying, which is of Indo-European origin.
- The Norwegian coastline is known as a "generous" fishing ground, thought to be due to marine life found in recently discovered coral reefs discovered along the bottom of their fjords.
- Fjord is "near thirty" according to Travis.
- Fjord found a mustang and named it Shelby, a reference to the Shelby Mustang, which is a high-performance variant of the Ford Mustang.
- Fjord's patron may be a sea creature, based on his dream as part of his 3rd-level warlock Pact of the Blade feature. The patron gave Fjord vague instructions to grow in strength and learn.
- When Fjord stated that he didn't have a surname, Sam joked that it was "Tough"—which would make his name "Fjord Tough", a pun on the slogan of Ford Motor Company.
- His main 'hobby' is watching and imitating peoples habits, most likely to improve his disguise self (mask of many faces) and deception
- Travis has talked about Fjord being a bottom on Talks Machina (due to the manner in which he first consumed a pact weapon) after talking about Fjord being submissive/acting submissively towards 'higher powers'.
- According to Jester, Fjord is really good at making chili.
- Travis has claimed on multiple occasions that Fjord is Lawful Good, though the other players do not believe him.
- Fjord hates sour cream.
External Links Edit
- ↑ See "The Gates of Zadash" (9x08). Fjord stated to Starosta Kosh that he didn't have a surname
- ↑ See "Curious Beginnings" (9x01) at 0:32:12. Travis introduces Fjord as a half-orc
- ↑ See "Curious Beginnings" (9x01) at 2:58:04. Fjord's stat card was shown on screen
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #49: 'Curious Beginnings'" (TMx49) at 22:07. Travis notes that Fjord has lived a "hard earned thirty years." Timestamp based on Twitch VOD.
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #70: 'Lost Treasures'" (TMx70). Travis says Fjord is in his early thirties when Brian asks Laura about Jester's age
- ↑ See "The Midnight Chase" (9x03). Fjord and Jester discuss meeting in Port Damali
- ↑ See "Curious Beginnings" (9x01).
- ↑ See "The Midnight Chase" (9x03). Fjord describes himself as a former sailor
- ↑ Description derived from official art of Fjord by Ari.
- ↑ See "Curious Beginnings" (9x01) at 0:32:37. Jester calls Fjord "very handsome"
- ↑ See "Curious Beginnings" (9x01) from 0:40:45 through 0:40:49. Beau describes Fjord as handsome, agreeing with Jester's earlier comment
- ↑ See "Curious Beginnings" (9x01) from 0:32:02 through 0:32:05. Fjord's initial introduction is 5 words long
- ↑ See "A Show of Scrutiny" (9x02) at 1:41:14. Fjord breaks house arrest to investigate the murders in Trostenwald
- ↑ See "The Midnight Chase" (9x03) at 0:41:18. Fjord thinks stealing horses to escape is "not a terrible idea."
- ↑ See "Curious Beginnings" (9x01) from 0:34:29 through 0:37:38. Fjord objects to taking all of the money Rinaldo paid the group for killing a snake, saying that they should stick by their word if they have an impulse to refuse
- ↑ See "The Open Road" (9x05) from 0:24:58 through 0:27:00.
- ↑ See "A Show of Scrutiny" (9x02) from 3:21:27 through 3:22:55. Fjord, posing as a Crown's Guard, distracts a Crown's Guard and talks his way into the main carnival tent
- ↑ See "The Midnight Chase" (9x03) at 2:00:05. Fjord disguises himself as an old man and successfully distracts a Crown's Guard
- ↑ See "The Open Road" (9x05) at 0:52:30.
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #53: 'The Open Road'" (TMx53) from 0:31:16 through 0:31:41. Timestamps based on Twitch VOD
- ↑ See "The Hour of Honor" (10x12).
- ↑ See "Zemnian Nights" (9x11) at 3:04:31. Fjord as he used to look like
- ↑ See "A Favor in Kind" (10x04) from 2:22:08 through 2:28:25. Fjord's tusk story
- ↑ See "Waste and Webs" (9x10) at 3:01:35.
- ↑ See "The Midnight Chase" (9x03) at 1:24:45. Jester tells the group that Fjord was a sailor
- ↑ See "Lost Treasures" (10x10) at 3:17:55.
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #49: 'Curious Beginnings'" (TMx49). Fjord and Jester met around a week before they met Beauregard. Given the fact that they've only known Beau for a few days, that times out to around a week and a half of knowing each other
- ↑ See "Curious Beginnings" (9x01) from 0:32:56 through 0:33:04. Rinaldo thanks the trio for saving his daughter
- ↑ See "The Open Road" (9x05) from 0:51:59 through 0:54:20.
- ↑ See "The Open Road" (9x05) at 0:48:42.
- ↑ See "The Open Road" (9x05) at 0:55:44.
- ↑ See "The Open Road" (9x05) from 1:01:56 through 1:04:07.
- ↑ See "A Favor in Kind" (10x04). Fjord deep throats a sword, his patron approvingly says "good," and Fjord's pact weapon becomes his falchion, but with the properties of the weapon he had made into his pact weapon.
- ↑ See D&D: Xanathar's Guide to Everything, 5th ed., p. 55, available online at D&D Beyond.
- ↑ See "A Show of Scrutiny" (9x02) from 3:08:45 through 3:09:10. When asked about her relationship with Fjord by Nott, Jester describes him as "a good friend...Like you and Caleb."
- ↑ See "The Midnight Chase" (9x03) at 2:09:03.
- ↑ See "A Favor in Kind" (10x04).
- ↑ See "A Show of Scrutiny" (9x02).
- ↑ See "Steam and Conversation" (9x09) from 0:54:27 through 0:55:43. Fjord attempts to coach Beau in the art of not insulting people while trying to compliment them
- ↑ See "Steam and Conversation" (9x09) at 0:53:56.
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #60: 'Midnight Espionage'" (TMx60).
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #51: 'The Midnight Chase'" (TMx51). Travis notes that Caleb's type of magic is very interesting to Fjord, whose magic isn't based on learning
- ↑ See "Curious Beginnings" (9x01) from 1:01:31 through 1:01:54. Fjord notes that he is allergic to Frumpkin
- ↑ See "Midnight Espionage" (9x12).
- ↑ See "Zemnian Nights" (9x11).
- ↑ See "Curious Beginnings" (9x01) at 1:02:20.
- ↑ See "Curious Beginnings" (9x01) at 2:00:40. Fjord hands his falchion to Yasha at the carnival
- ↑ See "Curious Beginnings" (9x01) at 0:52:33. Caleb casts Detect Magic but does not detect Fjord's falchion
- ↑ See "The Midnight Chase" (9x03) at 2:55:40. Fjord uses his Hexblade's Curse
- ↑ See "The Open Road" (9x05) from 0:58:42 through 1:04:07. Fjord notices the falchion is gone, explains his history with it, and summons/banishes it
- ↑ See "A Favor in Kind" (10x04) from 2:03:20 through 2:05:10.
- ↑ See "The Journey Home" (11x05).
- ↑ See "Curious Beginnings" (9x01) at 0:32:31. Fjord describes his armor as cobbled together from different sources
- ↑ See "A Show of Scrutiny" (9x02) at 3:26:18. Fjord notes that his armor has no pockets
- ↑ See "Zemnian Nights" (9x11) at 0:36:38. Translocating the enchantment from Fjord's Mariner's armor to his Piecemeal leather armor
- ↑ See "The Gates of Zadash" (9x08).
- ↑ See "Fleeting Memories" (10x02).
- ↑ See "Labenda Awaits" (10x08). Fjord adds bark from a lightning-struck tree to his component pouch
- ↑ See "Lost Treasures" (10x10) from 3:10:52 through 3:14:06.
- ↑ See "Lost Treasures" (10x10) at 3:28:25.
- ↑ See "Waste and Webs" (9x10) from 3:28:29 through 3:31:26.
- ↑ See "Fleeting Memories" (10x02) at 2:24:25. Fjord makes Thuron's longsword his pact weapon
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #62: 'Fleeting Memories'" (TMx62) from 1:11:38 through 1:12:22. Travis explains that he took War Caster at the advice of the internet. Timestamps based on Twitch VOD.
- ↑ See "Waste and Webs" (9x10) at 2:16:03. Fjord remains conscious after damage would reduce him to 0 hit points by using his Relentless Endurance
- ↑ See "The Midnight Chase" (9x03) at 3:27:20. Fjord adds his Charisma modifier to the damage of Eldritch Blast, consistent with the Agonizing Blast invocation
- ↑ See "A Show of Scrutiny" (9x02) at 1:32:27. Fjord uses Mask of Many Faces to cast Disguise Self
- ↑ See "The Gentleman's Path" (10x07) at 2:55:59. Matt notes that Fjord took an invocation to attack more than once with the attack action, consistent with Thirsting Blade
- ↑ See "The Midnight Chase" (9x03) at 3:13:23. Fjord casts Wrathful Smite
- ↑ See D&D: Xanathar's Guide to Everything, 5th ed., pp. 55–56, available online at D&D Beyond.
- ↑ See "The Open Road" (9x05) from 1:00:48 through 1:03:00. Fjord summons his pact weapon for the first time
- ↑ See D&D: Player's Handbook, 5th ed., pp. 107–108, available online at D&D Beyond. The Pact of the Blade allows the warlock to create a pact weapon (and choose its form) or perform a special ritual on a magic weapon to transform it into a pact weapon
- ↑ See "The Open Road" (9x05) from 0:48:04 through 0:54:48. Fjord meets his patron in a dream
- ↑ See "A Favor in Kind" (10x04) at https://www.reddit.com/r/criticalrole/comments/96ij1o/spoilers_c2e30_the_hexblade_flachion/.
- ↑ See D&D: Player's Handbook, 5th ed., p. 106.
- ↑ See "The Gentleman's Path" (10x07) at 2:54:47. Fjord casts Booming Blade
- ↑ See "The Midnight Chase" (9x03) at 0:24:58. Fjord casts Eldritch Blast
- ↑ See "The Howling Mines" (9x06) at 1:37:17. Fjord casts Minor Illusion
- ↑ See "The Open Road" (9x05) at 1:27:41. Fjord casts Armor of Agathys
- ↑ See "Curious Beginnings" (9x01) at 2:47:15. Fjord casts Hex
- ↑ See "Stalker in the Swamp" (10x09) at 0:53:25. Fjord casts Witch Bolt
- ↑ See "The Open Road" (9x05) at 1:43:31. Fjord casts Crown of Madness
- ↑ See "Lost Treasures" (10x10) at 1:25:08. Fjord casts Blink
- ↑ See "Stalker in the Swamp" (10x09) at 3:19:25. Fjord casts Hunger of Hadar
- ↑ See "The Midnight Chase" (9x03).
- ↑ See "The Midnight Chase" (9x03) at 0:44:07.
- ↑ See "Curious Beginnings" (9x01) from 0:35:35 through 0:35:44.
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #49: 'Curious Beginnings'" (TMx49).
- ↑ See Twitter search results for Critters calling Fjord "Texblade".
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #51: 'The Midnight Chase'" (TMx51) at 1:04:22. Travis calls Fjord "Texblade." Timestamp based on Twitch VOD.
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #49: 'Curious Beginnings'" (TMx49).
- ↑ See "The Midnight Chase" (9x03) at 0:48:55.
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #67: 'The Gentleman's Path'" (TMx67).
- ↑ See "Harvest Close" (10x05) at 2:13:54.
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #70: 'Lost Treasures'" (TMx70).
- ↑ Official 2018 portrait of Fjord, by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Official full body portrait of Fjord, by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Fjord, by Rammaru (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Fjord fighting Kylre, by Anna Landin (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Fjord using the Armor of Agathys, by Tyrone Andersen (source). Used with permission.