"Oh, you haven't heard of Scanlan Shorthalt? Well, gird your loins, ladies, because he has his eye on you. A talented musician, master of disguise, and dashingly handsome in his own mind, Scanlan sings songs almost as much as he sings his own praises.
Born a poor gnome, Scanlan used his endless charm and soaring tenor voice to croon for coin and support his single mother. One day he was discovered by a half-orc promoter, and joined Dr. Dranzel's Spectacular Traveling Troupe, where he learned the ways of the world, and honed his skills as a bard extraordinaire.
A loner much of his life, Scanlan has never quite come to terms with the violent death of his mother at the hands of a goblin invasion. While his years on the road provided many, shall we say, educational experiences with the opposite sex, deep down Scanlan yearns for the one thing he's never known: the true love of a fellow gnome.
Still, Scanlan considers himself a lover first, performer second, and fighter distant third. On the battlefield, he'll support his allies, but rarely draws blood unless it's to protect fellow gnome Pike. Count on Scanlan for a hearty laugh, a rollicking song, and a twinkle in his eye that melts hearts and makes the females swoon."
As a gnome, Scanlan is shorter than the other members of Vox Machina. He is also much older, but because gnomes live so much longer than many humanoid races, he appears to be around the same age as his former companions.
After joining the Slayer's Take, Scanlan has the brand of the guild on his right arm.
Scanlan's alignment is "neutral good", like Keyleth (and, originally, Vex'ahlia). He tended to sit back and watch while his allies strategize and scheme, occasionally making a joke or two. However, when the situation became urgent (or ripe for comedy), Scanlan would eagerly jump into fray.
His quick wit and silver tongue made him Vox Machina's best negotiator and deceiver. Scanlan often acted as support for his allies by enhancing their abilities or weakening their opponents. He was also capable of holding his own with a combination of magic, improvisation, and courage, as exemplified by his solo fight against Duke Vedmire and his eight armed guards.
Scanlan (or rather Sam) created parodies of real-world songs, silly limericks, and comical remarks as part of his Bardic Inspiration, Healing Word, or Cutting Words spells. Some were improvised on the spot, while others were prepared in advance.
Highly skilled in Deception, Scanlan sometimes found himself in situations where a simple lie or half-truth was not enough, so he adopted a disguise or false identity.
- Burt Reynolds: Initially used with a fake mustache and pretend badge to convince members of the Clasp that he was a customs inspector, the Burt Reynolds persona became Scanlan's deceit of choice when needing to impersonate an authority figure. Burt Reynolds later returned as a lawyer to rescue Keyleth and Tiberius from jail in Vasselheim.
- Kingslayer: Not entirely a lie, Scanlan's "Kingslayer" title was earned when delivering the killing blow to King Murghol. However, his "Kingslayer" persona deceptively portrayed Scanlan as a more honorable and valiant warrior than his everyday actions might have warranted.
- The Meat Man: Scanlan provided this pseudonym to the half-orc Rutter in Ank'Harel during a "drug deal", which might have served as Scanlan's underworld moniker.
- Francois Bertrand Jean-Luc Australia: Scanlan used this name while under the illusion of Seeming to disguise himself as an azer slave-trader in the City of Brass.
Scanlan is fluent in Common, Gnomish and Marquesian.
At some point in his past, at least fifteen years before the start of Critical Role, Scanlan encountered a gnome named Sybil[spelling?] (one of many women he has "encountered"). Unbeknownst to Scanlan, Sybil became pregnant with his child, Kaylie, but Scanlan left before learning of his daughter.
Scanlan joined up with Dr. Dranzel's Spectacular Traveling Troupe at some point, but he eventually left before joining the group that became Vox Machina.
Scanlan may be bisexual, or at the very least comfortable enough with his sexuality to use it for humor. This can be inferred by his interactions with Grog Strongjaw and Vax'ildan, especially when he mentioned that Vax kissing him was not the first time an elf-man kissed him but it was in the top three, in addition to his relationship with Pike Trickfoot and many of the other women he's encountered. If anything, he seems not to care much for personal preference but rather for affection and attention.
Before the Stream Edit
At some point, the group either accidentally or intentionally walked through the back door of the Clasp, the thieves' guild in Emon, and almost got into a deadly confrontation. Scanlan was able to trick the guild into thinking Vox Machina was part of the customs department, using a silver star he had made in a previous town.
The bard, by rolling a natural twenty on deception and putting a finger over his upper lip so it looked like he had a mustache, was able to get a man who had access to a tower into letting them in by tricking him into thinking that he was "Burt Reynolds".
Scanlan and Grog managed to intimidate a group of hostile mages in a fighting pit when Scanlan summoned a pony that Grog abruptly decapitated and smeared the gore of on his body while screaming. Scanlan also had Percy build him a bomb to use in that event, but since Grog's intimidation worked, Scanlan kept the bomb, which was later used in "K'Varn Revealed" (1x10).
Scanlan spent much of his time trying to convince Percy to create an exploding donkey, a request that Percy eventually complied to.
He was able to convince some guards to free Keyleth from prison after convincing them that she had pubic lice. She played along by foaming at the mouth and acting insane. Percy acted as her lawyer.
Scanlan was the one who brought Pike back to life after she perished in combat fighting a glabrezu, both by using a small figurine of her he carved two months before and kissing her on the brow. He still keeps the small figurine wherever he goes.
The bard accidentally crashed through a stained glass window when attempting to charge at the Dread Emperor by rolling a natural one. He crashed into a bramble bush three stories down while glass and wood from the window rained down on him.
Chapter 1 Edit
Chapter 2 Edit
Chapter 3 Edit
Chapter 4 Edit
Chapter 5 Edit
Chapter 6 Edit
Scanlan was killed in battle by the Green Dragon, Raishan, but Pike's quick Revivify spell returned him to life. His death had a serious impact on his state of mind, leading to him trying to develop a drug habit.
Scanlan was later killed by Raishan a second time. Pike's attempted Revivify failed, so Vox Machina took his body back to Whitestone where they performed a successful resurrection ritual.
Chapter 7 Edit
Leaving Vox Machina Edit
When Scanlan woke up after being resurrected, he was furious that Vox Machina had brought Kaylie and shown her his dead body, since he had previously promised her that he wouldn't die. He blew up at the group, accusing them of not caring about him. Although they did their best to reassure him otherwise, he announced that he was leaving the party and walked out of Whitestone Castle with his daughter. The two of them were later seen walking down a road together, smiling slightly.
Several months into the one-year time skip, Scanlan and Kaylie traveled to Ank'Harel and Scanlan reclaimed his self-made title of "The Meat Man". According to Scanlan, "one thing led to another", and the Meat Man ended up becoming one of the three biggest crime lords in Ank'Harel. At some point, Scanlan adopted an illusory disguise for the Meat Man: a Marquetian human named "Aes Adon". Aes hired Lionel Gayheart as muscle for the Meat Man's operation.
Returning to Vox Machina Edit
After the one-year time skip, Scanlan found some information that he judged important, important enough for him to want to deliver it in person to Vox Machina. He then traveled to Whitestone with Lionel to do so, disguising himself as Aes Adon, but unfortunately Lionel accidentally revealed to Vox Machina that his employer, Aes, was known as the "Meat Man". Upon meeting with Aes, eventually both Vex and Keyleth were able to see through Scanlan's disguise.
Scanlan revealed to the group some information that Lionel had managed to acquire: there was a second Ziggurat in the deserts of Ank'Harel, and it housed another Vecna cult that was making offerings to an Orb of Annihilation. Vex and Vax were quick to welcome Scanlan back, but the other members of Vox Machina (especially Grog and Pike) were less forgiving towards him. As they made their way to Ank'Harel to investigate this second Ziggurat, he returned to being an active member of Vox Machina.
Dr. Dranzel Edit
Scanlan found himself learning and perfecting his skills as a bard from a half-orc named Dr. Dranzel, and ended up joining his Spectacular Traveling Troupe. During his time with Dranzel, he honed his skills and became knowledgeable of the world around him. They reconnected years later in Emon just before the Chroma Conclave attacked, then reunited on several occasions afterward.
- → Main article: Relationship between Grog and Scanlan.
Grog and Scanlan are best friends, occasionally pursuing the same things.
Scanlan first met Kaylie in the Diamond Nest Tavern, where he was also reunited with Dr. Dranzel and his old troupe. They had a flautist duel—which was mostly a distraction so Vox Machina could pursue Riskel Daxio—and Scanlan forfeited the competition (and all of his money) to the young gnome girl despite having the clear advantage. After that, he invited the girl to his room in Greyskull Keep for the night.
Later that night, Kaylie revealed to Scanlan that she was his daughter that he never knew existed—news that greatly bothered Scanlan. She had trained at the College of the White Duke and traveled with Dranzel in order to hone her skills and, one day, not only find Scanlan and shame him, but also kill him. She then pulled out a dagger, intending to kill him, but couldn't go through with it upon hearing Scanlan's impassioned speech and witnessing him offer his life without resistance. Scanlan mentioned that he knew there was something missing in his life, and that it may well have been his daughter before him. The two shared a tearful hug and, unable to face him anymore that night, Kaylie ran out of the keep.
Scanlan did not reveal this information to the group until the following day, when he asked for their help to get Kaylie out of the stockade for causing a brawl in a bar. She and Dranzel's troupe soon left Emon shortly before the Chroma Conclave attacked. The two later reunited in Westruun when the Herd of Storms occupied the city. Working together, father and daughter aided in the escape of a few of the survivors alongside Dr. Dranzel.
They later reunited in Kymal after the slaying of Umbrasyl. During their reunion, Scanlan admitted that he had been going about his life all wrong, that the gnome he was supposed to love and protect wasn't Pike but Kaylie, his daughter. Scanlan gave her his Singing Dawnblade (which also contained a piece of his Magical Poop of Scrying in the scabbard) for her protection and for him to check in on her on occasion. Kaylie then made her father promise to stay alive and be there for her when the Chroma Conclave was defeated, so they could make up for lost time.
- → Main article: Relationship between Pike and Scanlan.
Scanlan had very strong feelings toward Pike, and it was a source of great humor and emotional moments within the Critical Role campaign. Pike eventually did willingly kiss Scanlan on the cheek when he saved her life once more during their escape from Yug'Voril. He once proposed marriage to the cleric, but Scanlan later rescinded the offer and he and Pike chose to remain close friends.
- → Main article: Relationship between Scanlan and Tiberius.
Scanlan and Tiberius had a bullying form of friendship, which started at some point before the stream. On many occasions, the two of them made jabs at each others. However, when Tiberius was discovered to have died defending Draconia, Scanlan showed the deepest respect for his fallen friend.
- → Main article: Relationship between Scanlan and Trinket.
Character Information Edit
Originally seeking to win Pike's heart, Scanlan realized that the gnome he was meant to love and protect is his daughter, Kaylie. After successfully slaying the ancient black dragon Umbrasyl, Scanlan promised Kaylie that he would return to her and be the father she needs once he has finished slaying the other members of the Chroma Conclave.
Notable Items Edit
- Aberration Bane Longsword
- Brass flute (received from J'mon Sa Ord; became tarnished after being used to summon them to battle Raishan)
Coldsnap Leather Armor(traded to Vex'ahlia)
- Drow Poison
- Earring of Whisper (made by Tiberius)
- Handcone of Clarity (made by Tiberius)
- Horn of Fog
- Ioun Stone
- Magical Poop of Scrying
- Pistol and ammunition
- Ring of Mind Shielding
Scroll of Chain Lightning(expended against K'Varn)
Scroll of Gate(expended to summon Yenk)
Singing Dawnblade(given to Kaylie)
- Small statue of Pike
- Studded Leather Armor of Acid Resistance (received from Vex'ahlia)
Suude(no doses remaining)
- Tome of Isolation (Given to him by Ioun for use against Vecna)
Tome of Leadership and Influence(successfully used by Scanlan; recharging for the next hundred years. given to Keyleth)
- Wand of Fireballs
- Wand of Magic Missiles
Because Scanlan is a bard, he has a large array of spells and skills, which he utilizes both in social and combat situations. His spells run the gamut of offense, defense, and support. Due to his expertise as a College of Lore bard, he is capable of inspiring not only his allies, but also himself.
Gnome Abilities Edit
- Gnome Cunning (advantage on INT/WIS/CHA saving throws against magic)
Bard Abilities Edit
Class Features Edit
- Bard College: College of Lore
- Additional Magical Secrets
- Bonus Proficiencies
- Cutting Words
- Peerless Skill
- Bardic Inspiration (d12)
- Font of Inspiration
- Jack of All Trades
- Magical Secrets
- Ritual Casting
- Song of Rest (d12)
- Spellcasting (Charisma-based ability)
Bard Spells Edit
As a level 17 College of Lore bard, Scanlan can know 22 spells at a time. He can also swap a spell out with another one when gaining a level, so some of these spells may no longer be known by him.
- Dominate Monster
- True Polymorph
Blessing of the Knowing Mistress Edit
Upon becoming the chosen champion of Ioun, Scanlan has been granted the following abilities:
- A permanent +2 bonus to intelligence.
- As a bonus action, you may channel the omniscience of Ioun. For one hour whenever you successfully hit a creature with a spell or attack you can learn one of the creatures stats of your choice from the following list:
- Saving Throw Bonuses
- Damage Resistances
- Damage Immunities
- Damage Vulnerabilities
During this hour you also have advantage on initiative rolls and on saving throws. Once this ability is used it can not be used again "for like a week".
- Scanlan: "You remember what Pike looks like?"
Elowen Brist: "Yeah, about your size, light-ish hair..."
Scanlan: "Hair the color of the sunset; eyes like waves that crash in the night; breasts supple, firm–"
Grog, interrupting: "Okay, uh, Scanlan, uh, Scanlan–"
Ashley Johnson: "True, true, true."[move?]
- Grog: "If I pelvic thrust, will you...?"
Scanlan: "I will grant you cock lightning."
- ↑ See Dungeons & Dragons: Vox Style (by Matthew Mercer) at 2:14.
- ↑ The story of Scanlan first using the name "Burt Reynolds" was told during a Q&A. See "Attack on the Duergar Warcamp" (1x04).
- ↑ See "Strange Bedfellows" (1x03) at 2:30:58. Vax calls Scanlan "Burt Reynolds" for the first time on-stream while persuading Clarota.
- ↑ See "Glass and Bone" (1x08) at 0:50:49.
- ↑ See "A Traveler's Gamble" (5x10).
- ↑ See "Where the Cards Fall" (6x06) at 3:18:32.
- ↑ See "Masquerade" (7x15) at Marquetian Human disguise for the crime lord known as "The Meat Man"s Scanlan's Marquetian Human disguise for the crime lord known as "The Meat Man".
- ↑ See "K'Varn Revealed" (1x10) at 3:29:09.
- ↑ CritRoleStats lists Scanlan as chaotic good
- ↑ See "A Name Is Earned" (4x11) at 2:32:53.
- ↑ See "Unfinished Business" (8x01) at 0:36:18.
- ↑ See "Raishan" (6x11) from 2:56:55 through 2:58:25.
- ↑ See "Loose Ends" (6x15).
- ↑ See "Raishan" (6x11) at 2:37:25.
- ↑ See "The Deceiver's Stand" (6x14) at 2:13:01.
- ↑ See "A Bard's Lament" (7x01).
- ↑ Scanlan's level 12 stats were shown onscreen. See "In Ruins" (4x03) at 1:34:51.
- ↑ Scanlan's level 14 stats were shown onscreen. See "A Cycle of Vengeance" (5x02) at 0:29:27.
- ↑ Scanlan completed his reading of the Tome of Leadership and Influence, increasing his Charisma from 20 to 22. See "Denizens of the Moonbrush" (5x05). See also Sam Riegel's post-episode tweet of his Charisma score of 22.
- ↑ Scanlan's level 15 stats were shown on-screen. See "Brawl in the Arches" (6x07) at 1:08:13.
- ↑ Scanlan's level 16 stats were shown onscreen. See "Deadly Echoes" (6x13) at 3:09:22.
- ↑ Scanlan's level 17 stats were shown onscreen. See "Masquerade" (7x15) at 2:17:27.
- ↑ See "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01) at 2:03:31.
- ↑ See "A Name Is Earned" (4x11) at 3:20:10.
- ↑ See "Cindergrove Revisited" (4x08) at 0:27:46.
- ↑ See "Hope" (4x18).
- ↑ See "The Echo Tree" (5x07) at 2:37:11.
- ↑ See "The Echo Tree" (5x07) at 3:08:27.
- ↑ See "The Echo Tree" (5x07) at 3:16:53.
- ↑ See "The Echo Tree" (5x07) at 3:31:03.
- ↑ See "Trial of the Take: Part 2" (2x03) from 1:16:55 through 1:17:11.
- ↑ See "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01) from 5:55 through 7:16.
- ↑ See "K'Varn Revealed" (1x10) at 3:29:44.
- ↑ See "Gunpowder Plot" (3x08), part 1, from 0:14:56 through 0:53:09.
- ↑ See "The Rematch" (2x07) at 1:39:18.
- ↑ See "Where the Cards Fall" (6x06) from 3:15:48 through 3:19:02.
- ↑ Kaylie explained her backstory and heritage to Scanlan. See "Echoes of the Past" (3x15) from 1:18:55 through 1:31:03.
- ↑ Sam Riegel mentioned on Twitter that Scanlan's sexuality was not completely towards women.
- ↑ See "Brawl in the Arches" (6x07) at 3:18:45.
- ↑ Part of this scene is available on Matthew Mercer's Youtube channel.
- ↑ See "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01) from 2:59:41 through 3:01:50.
- ↑ See "Jugs and Rods" (7x10).
- ↑ See "A Musician's Nostalgia" (3x14).
- ↑ See "Echoes of the Past" (3x15) at 1:22:29.
- ↑ See "Echoes of the Past" (3x15).
- ↑ See "Omens" (4x01).
- ↑ See "Best Laid Plans..." (4x12).
- ↑ See "Test of Pride" (4x13).
- ↑ See "Hope" (4x18).
- ↑ See "At Dawn, We Plan!" (4x15).
- ↑ See "A Cycle of Vengeance" (5x02).
- ↑ See "The Frigid Doom" (5x08).
- ↑ See "The Elephant in the Room" (6x03).
- ↑ See "Hope" (4x18).
- ↑ See "Denizens of the Moonbrush" (5x05).
- ↑ See "In the Belly of the Beast" (4x16).
- ↑ https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/644016911710162944
- ↑ See "Gunpowder Plot" (3x08), part 2, at 0:50:50.
- ↑ See "Hubris" (2x01) at 18:06.
- ↑ See "The Path to Whitestone" (3x04) at 2:35:58.
- ↑ The Mythcarver was obtained from Kamaljiori. See "A Name Is Earned" (4x11).
- ↑ See "Trust" (6x01) from 1:59:45 through 2:01:21.
- ↑ See "Masquerade" (7x15) from 2:41:35 through 2:42:00.
- ↑ See "Strange Bedfellows" (1x03) at 1:09:59.
- ↑ See "Vorugal" (6x02).
- ↑ Wand of Fireballs was taken from Lady Delilah Briarwood. See "Denouement" (3x12).
- ↑ Wand of Magic Missiles was obtained from a duergar in the Underdark. See "Strange Bedfellows" (1x03) from 0:18:27 through 0:20:10.
- ↑ War Caster feat was first mentioned when Scanlan used it to cast a spell as a reaction against Rimefang. See "Trial of the Take: Part 2" (2x03) at 2:50:07.
- ↑ Matt referred to this feat twice when Scanlan successfully maintained concentration of Hold Person on Kevdak. See "The Kill Box" (4x14).
- ↑ See "Into the Greyspine Mines" (1x02) at 1:54:25. Scanlan used his Countercharm ability.
- ↑ See "Escape from the Underdark" (1x13) at 2:16:06. Scanlan casts Friends.
- ↑ See "Denouement" (3x12), part 1, at 0:46:26. Scanlan casts Mage Hand.
- ↑ See "Crimson Diplomacy" (3x02) at 0:34:50. Scanlan casts Message.
- ↑ See "Yug'Voril Uncovered" (1x09) at 1:22:13. Scanlan casts Minor Illusion.
- ↑ See "The Throne Room" (1x07) at 1:36:14. Scanlan casts Vicious Mockery.
- ↑ See "The Fate-Touched" (8x04) at 0:42:22. Scanlan casts Wristpocket.
- ↑ Wristpocket is a homebrew spell created by Matt. Sam posted the spell information for it on Reddit. (source)
- ↑ See "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01) at 0:40:03. Scanlan casts Healing Word.
- ↑ See "Breaching the Emberhold" (1x06) at 1:18:24. Scanlan casts Thunderwave.
- ↑ See "Into the Greyspine Mines" (1x02) at 0:47:03. Scanlan casts Unseen Servant.
- ↑ See "Glass and Bone" (1x08) at 1:58:20. Scanlan casts Blindness.
- ↑ See "Yug'Voril Uncovered" (1x09) at 1:07:30. Scanlan casts Hold Person.
- ↑ See "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01) at 1:57:22. Scanlan casts Invisibility.
- ↑ See "The Throne Room" (1x07) at 3:15:05. Scanlan casts Suggestion.
- ↑ See "Reunions" (3x10), part 1, at 1:49:13. Scanlan casts Counterspell.
- ↑ See "Into the Greyspine Mines" (1x02) at 2:50:05. Scanlan casts Dispel Magic.
- ↑ See "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01) at 2:59:42. Scanlan casts Lightning Bolt.
- ↑ See "Path of Brass" (6x05) at 2:34:41. Scanlan casts Major Image.
- ↑ See "Into the Greyspine Mines" (1x02) at 2:39:37. Scanlan casts Stinking Cloud.
- ↑ See "Attack on the Duergar Warcamp" (1x04) at 2:29:29. Scanlan casts Banishment.
- ↑ See "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01) at 2:03:18. Scanlan casts Dimension Door.
- ↑ See "The Trick about Falling" (1x05) at 2:28:42. Scanlan casts Dominate Beast.
- ↑ See "Cindergrove Revisited" (4x08) at 1:58:30. Scanlan casts Otiluke's Resilient Sphere.
- ↑ See "Into the Greyspine Mines" (1x02) at 2:11:35. Scanlan casts Polymorph.
- ↑ See "K'Varn Revealed" (1x10) at 1:10:39. Scanlan casts Bigby's Hand.
- ↑ See "Attack on the Duergar Warcamp" (1x04) at 2:07:29. Scanlan casts Dominate Person.
- ↑ See "The Frigid Doom" (5x08) at 0:12:30. Scanlan casts Modify Memory.
- ↑ See "Hubris" (2x01) at 2:12:44. Scanlan casts Seeming.
- ↑ See "Trial of the Take: Part 2" (2x03) at 2:15:37. Scanlan casts Eyebite.
- ↑ See "The Family Business" (4x09) at 0:13:23. Scanlan casts Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion.
- ↑ See "Cloak and Dagger" (5x12) at 2:52:26. Scanlan casts Reverse Gravity.
- ↑ See "Vorugal" (6x02) at 2:26:02. Scanlan casts Dominate Monster.
- ↑ See "Race to the Tower" (8x03) at 2:31:59. Scanlan casts True Polymorph.
- ↑ See "Into the Frostweald" (4x10) at 0:48:00.
- ↑ See "Best Laid Plans..." (4x12) at 1:48:44.
- ↑ Fan art of Scanlan grieving over Pike's death in the events before Critical Role, by sleepyjaneart (source). Permission needed.
- ↑ Fan art of Kaylie preparing to attack Scanlan, by advocatingAvian (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of the Mythcarver, one of the Vestiges of the Divergence, by David Rodrigues (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Scanlan, by Andrew Keller (source). Permission needed.
- ↑ Fan art of Scanlan using Bigby's Hand, by David Rodrigues (source). Used with permission.
External Links Edit