Shaun Gilmore, better known as Gilmore, is a sorcerer merchant. He owns the Gilmore's Glorious Goods shop in the city of Emon and was at one point planning to open another shop in Westruun. He is the chief sponsor of Vox Machina and provides the group a discount for all of his merchandise. As an NPC, he is played by Matthew Mercer.
Gilmore is described as a very handsome man, with long, thick, black hair that he usually ties back into a ponytail. Recently, he has decided to grow out a goatee, which he keeps well-braided. He wears what Matthew Mercer describes as "a wizard's tracksuit", with gold-trimmed purple robes that open up at the chest, and various golden necklaces and medallions.
Gilmore has a very "Broadway" personality, often using grandiose gestures and manners of speaking, though he is easily flustered. He is shown to be a very able businessman, having told Vox Machina that he was in the process of opening another store in Westruun. He is also a very adept magic caster, as much of what he creates is out of the ordinary and different from standard enchantments. However, he sometimes tends to use his customers as test subjects for new kinds of enchantments, as seen with the unfortunate side effects of Scanlan's Potion of Scrying.
Despite all of this, Gilmore has shown that he does not like to feel that he has been cheated. When asked about opening a line of credit when Vox Machina first appeared to not have enough money for the goods they wanted, he became very cautious. While willing to do so, he warned them that, should they make this arrangement and not repay him within a month, he would send people after them.
Gilmore said that he received his powers through his bloodline, as he is something called a "Runechild".
"Shopping and Shipping" (1x14) Edit
Shaun Gilmore appeared for the first time on the stream as Vox Machina readied for their next adventure and stopped at Gilmore's Glorious Goods, LLC. The party entered Gilmore's shop in Abedar's Promenade, where Vax made a beeline to find the man himself. They were greeted warmly, and Gilmore confided that trade had been good; he was in the process of expanding to a second storefront in Westruun.
Vax asked to take Gilmore out on the town while the rest shopped, and Gilmore agreed. He left Sherri, his assistant, to handle the sales. Gilmore and Vax headed to a romantic botanical garden in the Erudite Quarter, where they shared a glass of wine together. They flirted for a while before returning to the shop, a little drunk.
Back at the shop, sales were concluded, and Vox Machina walked away with a pile of new magical items in return for a large amount of gold, platinum, and dragon scales.
Vox Machina stopped by Gilmore's stop but were told that he was away in Westruun, working on the new branch of Gilmore's Glorious Goods. Keyleth had Sherri send him a message that Vax was in town, and Gilmore teleported immediately into the shop. Vax greeted him with a European-style kiss on the cheek and asked where they could be alone to talk. The two of them went into a back room to trade news; Vax told Gilmore about his recent exploits in the Underdark, and Gilmore told Vax what had been happening in Emon and at the new branch in Westruun.
Noticing the teleportation sigil on the floor of the room, Vax asked Gilmore if it was possible to get access to the sigil for Kraghammer. Although he himself did not have access to the sigil, Gilmore did secure a favor with the Lyceum. Vax then purchased three magic daggers from Gilmore on credit, which he repaid within the week.
"Echoes of the Past" (3x15) Edit
When Vox Machina found Gilmore again, he was near death in the basement of his destroyed shop. Gilmore was injured during the initial attack, when he bravely rescued Salda Tal'Dorei and her children.
"Dangerous Dealings" (4x04) Edit
Gilmore went to Whitestone with the rest of the Emon refugees.
"Duskmeadow" (5x01) Edit
While living as a refugee in Whitestone, Gilmore, with the help of Lady Allura Vysoren and Eskil Ryndarien, was tasked with creating and maintaining a protective barrier over the town, while also investigating the orb left by the Briarwoods.
"A Cycle of Vengeance" (5x02) Edit
During one of Vox Machina's visits to Whitestone, Gilmore was impersonated by a rakshasa named Hotis in an attempt at vengeance on Vax. After Vax and the rest of Vox Machina slew Hotis and his hired assassins, Keyleth searched for the real Gilmore and Allura to ensure their safety. Keyleth managed to find Gilmore—just as he was crushing the body of his would-be assassin using powerful magic.
"The Frigid Doom" (5x08) Edit
Gilmore tells the group that he and Pike have been working on the barrier. Gilmore has been trying to see the other dragons and has had little success with Raishan. But he says that the place Vorugal attacked was Draconia, which has been razed. He says there was surviving Dragonborn but they are not in a good state, their home is now icy and cold. Gilmore mentions that he grew up in Marquet.
"The Streets of Ank'Harel" (5x09) Edit
"Passed Through Fire" (5x13) Edit
"The Coming Storm" (6x04) Edit
"Path of Brass" (6x05) Edit
"The Siege of Emon" (6x09) Edit
"What Lies Beneath the Surface" (6x12) Edit
"The Deceiver's Stand" (6x14) Edit
"A Bard's Lament" (7x01) Edit
"The Final Ascent" (8x14) Edit
Sherri is one of Gilmore's employees and the one he seems to trust the most, as she is usually left in charge of the shop when he is away. Although Sherri is sometimes frustrated with her boss, she is incredibly loyal to him. When Gilmore was gravely injured during the Chroma Conclave's attack on Emon, Sherri stayed by his side to protect him and tend to his wounds. She later went with him and the other refugees to Whitestone.
Vax'ildan and Gilmore enjoy flirting with each other and spending time together. After returning from the Underdark, Vax asked Gilmore out to a meal and a walk, partially to give the rest of Vox Machina time to shop and haggle, but also just to catch up with his friend.
After defeating the Briarwoods and returning to Emon, Vax took a moment to sit down with Gilmore and explain that he was in love with someone else. Gilmore, although saddened by the news, took it very well, and after a final kiss the two parted amicably. They remain close friends.
Character Information Edit
- Hold Monster
Notable Items Edit
❝But if you find a way for me to become a dragon, that would be sexy.❞
- Shaun Gilmore was actually born Shaun Geddmore, but had his name anglicized when he moved to Tal'Dorei for better business.
- In the Critical Role Major Arcana Tarot Card Set, he represents X - Wheel of Fortune.
- ↑ Spelling of Gilmore's name obtained from Matthew Mercer's written accompaniment to his Spotify playlist.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Matthew Mercer clarified that Gilmore is a sorcerer.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Runechild is a new Sorcerous Origin created by Matthew Mercer (source).
- ↑ Matthew Mercer clarified that Gilmore is in his late 30s.
- ↑ See "Passed Through Fire" (5x13) at 1:54:07.
- ↑ See "The Streets of Ank'Harel" (5x09).
- ↑ Gilmore can cast 7th-level spells, meaning he is at least a level 13 sorcerer.
- ↑ See "In Ruins" (4x03) at 2:38:01.
- ↑ See "The Streets of Ank'Harel" (5x09).
- ↑ See "What Lies Beneath the Surface" (6x12) at 2:26:55.
- ↑ See "Omens" (4x01).
- ↑ See "In Ruins" (4x03).
- ↑ See "Duskmeadow" (5x01).
- ↑ See "A Cycle of Vengeance" (5x02) at 1:48:25.
- ↑ See "The Feast" (3x01) at 0:51:25.
- ↑ See "Shopping and Shipping" (1x14) at 2:43:30.
- ↑ See "The Feast" (3x01) from 0:56:21 through 0:57:54.
- ↑ See "Echoes of the Past" (3x15) from 58:33 through 1:02:42.
- ↑ See "What Lies Beneath the Surface" (6x12).
- ↑ See "The Siege of Emon" (6x09) at 2:13:15.
- ↑ See "The Siege of Emon" (6x09).
- ↑ See "Raishan" (6x11).
- ↑ See "The Final Ascent" (8x14) at 4:50:52. Gilmore casts Haste.
- ↑ See "Thordak" (6x10).
- ↑ See "The Final Ascent" (8x14).
- ↑ Matthew Mercer clarified that Gilmore uses a ring as his arcane focus.
- ↑ First time these dominoes are seen. It was unclear if the spell was cast by Gilmore or if it was the domino that created the Heroes' Feast. See "Echoes of the Past" (3x15) from 43:45 through 45:04.
- ↑ Confirmation that Gilmore does not have the Heroes' Feast spell and instead used his wooden dominoes. See "Deadly Echoes" (6x13) from 28:24 through 28:48.
- ↑ Matthew Mercer spelled Shaun Gilmore's original last name on Twitter.
- ↑ Season 2 portrait of Gilmore, by Kit Buss (source). Permission needed.
- ↑ Fan art of Gilmore, by Kit Buss (source). Described by Matthew Mercer as semi-official. Permission needed.
- ↑ Fan art of Gilmore, by Andrew Keller (source). Permission needed.
- ↑ Fan art of Gilmore during the fall of Emon, by Megzilla87 (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Gilmore and Vax'ildan, by David Rodrigues (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Gilmore casting a spell, by David Rodrigues (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ The miniature for Shaun Gilmore, by Matthew Mercer (source). Permission needed.