|This article or section may require cleanup. The spelling, grammar, or formatting may need attention. The content may be out of place, overwritten, and/or contradictory. You can help the Critical Role wiki by reviewing this article and cleaning it up.
"Greetings and salutations. I am Tiberius Stormwind. I hail from a town called Tyriex, located in the heart of Draconia, born from a politically respected family.
At the age of 15, I succeeded in passing the Sorcerer's Rite, showing prodigy-like control of my magic. The judges and the Draconian high council were amazed at how powerful my spells were for how long I had been training. At 20 years old, I was the youngest appointed member of the magic guild in Draconian history. For the next few years, I almost went mad from the malaise of being a guild member, as it's rather boring.
However, one day I happened upon a chamber, unused for quite some time. In the room were stacks of books and maps of the surrounding cities and areas around the known world. For months I would frequent the chamber, and learned of artifacts from legend. After a long period of research, I made a list of artifacts that caught my eye. I brought these findings to the high council and was told that all of the information in the chamber I had stumbled upon was either believed to be fiction, or unsolvable mysteries, and hence were lost forever. I found those answers to be unacceptable.
A year later I devised a ruse and managed to convince the city council to lend support in me leaving Draconia on a mission of peace and diplomacy for the surrounding kingdoms. Going from town to town and making friends and allies, in and for the name of Draconia. Being a red dragon born, I had quite the task on my hands in that respect, but it was exactly what I needed, so I could explore the world and find these artifacts, as I felt the truth was out there.
Some may describe me as buffoonish, but I say poppycock to all that. I am much sharper than most give me credit for. I just don't pay attention to things sometimes. I've also been known to be rather cunning, loyal, happy-go-lucky, and well, dangerous. I can't help but show my true scales every now and then. But overall, I think I'm quite friendly for a Dragonborn."
Character Information Edit
Tiberius hailed from Tyriex in Draconia, where he came from a very large political family. One of his reasons for leaving besides his quest was to avoid being forced into the Draconian Council. He was fluent in Common, Draconic, and Dwarvish.
Often portrayed as quite absent-minded, he once tried to disguise himself as a dwarf with the name Tiberius Kraghammer while within the city of Kraghammer. He got himself into trouble, as seen in "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01). Orion describes Tiberius as a bit of a buffoon; however, part of this was Tiberius purposely portraying himself this way to throw people off guard.
Draconian society had institutional class- and tail-based slavery, which is why Tofor Brotoras and Gern Blanston (both blue dragonborn) had negative reactions to Tiberius. When Tofor made it clear she did not like him, Tiberius responded by angrily insulting her any time she spoke up and referred to her as "peasant" instead of using her name.
Tiberius possessed an incredible amount of power and was capable of annihilating large numbers of opponents very quickly, as seen in "The Trick about Falling" (1x05) and "The Throne Room" (1x07). He was very resourceful, having several means of teleportation to areas such as Draconia or Emon. Tiberius may have worshipped Bahamut, as, in "Escape from the Underdark" (1x13), he shouted when casting Circle of Teleportation, "By the blessings of Bahamut, I choose Emon!"
After the events in the Underdark, when Grog had been captured and the Bag of Holding was lost along with the Mending Wheel, Tiberius went to Draconia and purchased his own Bag of Holding to keep the Mending Wheel in, since it was his own personal artifact and part of his quest. Tiberius's Bag of Holding was made of wyvern skin.
Tiberius had two brothers: Jerahd, a warlock he would contact for information on creatures and artifacts, and Faeryn, a silver dragonborn monk in another D&D campaign that Orion plays. Faeryn and Tiberius did not interact during the stream, but Orion tweeted a picture of a letter Tiberius sent to Faeryn along with a Tear of Bahamut. Tiberius also had a sister named Drakka, a bronze dragonborn. However, Matthew Mercer implied that Tiberius may not be his father's child. When Vox Machina learned of Tiberius's death, the party did not learn the fates of his siblings.
Tiberius and Keyleth had a very strong friendship, with Tiberius acting as a sort of loyal advisor and referring to Keyleth as "Your Highness" whenever he helped her through a very emotionally tough time. This was partially seen in "Glass and Bone" (1x08) as Keyleth became upset and very difficult to reason with when arguing with Lady Kima.
Tiberius at some point became infatuated with Lady Allura. While she in turn had hinted that she liked him as well, it was still rather unknown. Tiberius had also stated to the rest of Vox Machina during a conversation that Allura was more powerful than him.
Before the Stream Edit
At some point during the campaign, Tiberius attempted to disguise himself as a female troll in order to distract a couple of male trolls around a fire. The situation almost ended very badly for Tiberius had his teammates not come in to rescue him. Allura was also apparently with the group when this happened.
After the party fell into an ancient cistern within Emon, they attempted to find their way out. While searching for an exit, they came across the ruins of an ancient civilization, where they encountered a hag named Trysta. Tiberius made a deal with her that, in exchange for showing them the way out and obtaining the Mending Wheel, she could take a part of his luck. Tiberius never learned what that meant, or whether it resulted in his misfortune to die in in the Chroma Conclave's attack.
He almost died trying to escape from an umber hulk nest after jumping out of the nest into a 170 foot drop. He drank a Feather Fall potion and barely managed to make a saving throw. He also killed an umber hulk by dropping it out of its nest.
Tiberius was inside the Ivory Tower when it collapsed into a pearl due to Allura's security magic. He was able to safely jump out of the window and cast Feather Fall on himself to avoid taking damage.
When Pike died at the hands of Jurazel the glabrezu, Tiberius (also Orion who was half in and half out of character) was so enraged that he could not speak coherently. He cried when Pike came back to life.
Leaving Vox Machina Edit
During the journey to Whitestone, Tiberius left the party to better prepare himself for the upcoming conflict. While gone, he tried to convince the Draconians to help them and did not return to Whitestone. Upon returning to Emon, he announced to the other members of Vox Machina that he was leaving, as the "path of Vox Machina and the path of Tiberius Stormwind haven't been aligned for some time". Specifically, he hadn't made progress on his personal quests or earned the respect of his family. Orion hoped to reprise his role as Tiberius on Critical Role occasionally, but that is unlikely to happen due to the death of Tiberius in "The Frigid Doom" (5x08).
In "The Frigid Doom" (5x08), Tiberius Stormwind was found dead. He died a hero, defending Draconia from Vorugal the Frigid Doom. Unable to transport his body at the time, Vox Machina gave a short burial service for their longtime friend and ally. However, following the death of Vorugal, Scanlan approached the Ravinites to discuss a more permanent and dignified burial beneath the dragon's former lair. Among the requests was that a statue be built atop his grave, of Tiberius, with the etching below reading "I Encourage Peace". Tooma, the leader of the Ravinites, agreed with Scanlan's request and tasked Kursa[spelling?], one of the Ravinites' finest stonemasons, with the construction of the statue.
Tiberius's death marked the first permanent death of a player character.
Notable Items Edit
- Circlet of Concentration
- Decanter of Endless Water (blessed with holy water once per day)
- Deck of Illusions
- Earring of Whisper
- Infinite Air Bottle
- Ioun Stone
- Ring of Spell Storing
Tiberius's Crafted Items Edit
Tiberius enchanted some magical items for the group:
- Blazing Bowstring (for Vex'ahlia)
- Chain of Returning (for Grog)
- Earrings of Whisper (for Vox Machina)
- Hand Cone of Clarity (for Scanlan)
- Scroll(s) of Telescription (for himself)
Quests and Artifacts Edit
His personal journey was to collect several fabled magical artifacts that were rumored to either be myths or no longer exist. On his quest he only found one artifact: the Mending Wheel.
One of Tiberius's personal goals was to find a way to re-enchant the Carpet of Flying, which lost its ability to fly when it was nearly destroyed by acid.
- Found Artifacts
- Not Found Artifacts
- Boros Ring
- God's Hammer
- Pale Stone
Tiberius was known for having various spells which he often used in combat. His trademark spell in combat was Fireball.
Dragonborn Abilities Edit
- Fire Breath
Sorcerer Abilities Edit
- Flexible Casting
Sorcerer Spells Edit
- Alter Self
- Hold Person
- Misty Step
- Scorching Ray
- Dispel Magic
- Grand Columns/Obelisk of Stone
- Chain Lightning
- ↑ See Dungeons & Dragons: Vox Style (by Matthew Mercer) at 2:01.
- ↑ See "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01) at 1:48:03.
- ↑ Orion Acaba tweeted about the Stormwind family.
- ↑ Orion Acaba stated in a Q&A that Tiberius's alignment was chaotic good. See "K'Varn Revealed" (1x10) at 3:29:31.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Dragonborn racial languages are listed in the D&D Player's Handbook, 5th ed., p. 34.
- ↑ See "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01) at 0:21:08.
- ↑ The spelling of "Kruvanis" was confirmed by Orion Acaba's usage on Twitter.
- ↑ See "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01) from 7:16 through 9:15.
- ↑ Matthew Mercer confirmed that Tiberius's tail and the mention of the name "Stormwind" upset Tofor (source).
- ↑ See "Shopping and Shipping" (1x14).
- ↑ See "Escape from the Underdark" (1x13) at 2:07:20.
- ↑ After Orion tweeted the colors of Tiberius's siblings, who are all metallic while Tiberius is chromatic, Matthew Mercer tweeted that "Tiberius' father might have some questions for his mother... ;)". However, the winking emoticon could mean this was meant in a joking manner and is not to be taken seriously.
- ↑ See "The Frigid Doom" (5x08).
- ↑ See "The Story of Vox Machina" (Sx06) from 8:00 through 8:39.
- ↑ See Carpet Throwback by Liam O'Brien from 0:33 through 1:07.
- ↑ See "A Musician's Nostalgia" (3x14) from 0:30:00 through 0:37:37. In reality, after a mutual parting of ways, it was made official by the Critical Role cast that Tiberius's actor, Orion Acaba, would no longer be on the show.
- ↑ "Chalk Talk: Why I left Critical Role" (a video by Orion Acaba), but the video was eventually removed or made private.
- ↑ See "The Elephant in the Room" (6x03) from 0:46:42 through 0:48:15.
- ↑ See "Strange Bedfellows" (1x03) at 1:34:43.
- ↑ Matthew Mercer stated that the Hand Cone of Clarity "[...] is a custom item crafted by Tiberius for Scanlan. When spells or Bard abilities are cast through it, it increases the DC by 1" (source).
- ↑ See "Breaching the Emberhold" (1x06) at 2:41:39. Tiberius casts Control Flames.
- ↑ See "Into the Greyspine Mines" (1x02) at 2:23:40. Tiberius cast Fire Bolt.
- ↑ See "Into the Greyspine Mines" (1x02) at 1:21:10. Tiberius casts Light.
- ↑ See "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01) at 1:11:42. Tiberius casts Mage Hand.
- ↑ See "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01) at 1:23:36. Tiberius casts Prestidigitation.
- ↑ See "Glass and Bone" (1x08) at 1:36:12. Tiberius casts True Strike.
- ↑ See "The Trick about Falling" (1x05) at 0:52:24. Tiberius casts Feather Fall.
- ↑ See "The Throne Room" (1x07) at 3:04:33. Tiberius casts Ice Knife.
- ↑ See "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01) at 1:46:09. Tiberius casts Alter Self.
- ↑ See "The Throne Room" (1x07) at 0:52:20. Tiberius casts Blur.
- ↑ See "Yug'Voril Uncovered" (1x09) at 1:07:12. Tiberius casts Hold Person.
- ↑ See "K'Varn Revealed" (1x10) at 1:37:45. Tiberius casts Invisibility.
- ↑ See "Trial of the Take: Part 4" (2x05) at 0:35:38. Tiberius casts Misty Step.
- ↑ See "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01) at 2:47:32. Tiberius casts Scorching Ray.
- ↑ See "K'Varn Revealed" (1x10) at 1:46:37. Tiberius casts Silence.
- ↑ See "The Throne Room" (1x07) at 2:58:27. Tiberius casts Counterspell.
- ↑ See "Into the Greyspine Mines" (1x02) at 0:45:07. Tiberius casts Dispel Magic.
- ↑ See "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01) at 2:23:30. Tiberius casts Fireball.
- ↑ See "Strange Bedfellows" (1x03) at 1:45:51. Tiberius casts Fly.
- ↑ Orion explained his Obelisk of Stone spell on Twitter.
- ↑ Matthew Mercer explained Tiberius's rock pillar spell on Reddit.
- ↑ See "Into the Greyspine Mines" (1x02) at 2:07:57. Tiberius casts Grand Columns.
- ↑ See "Trial of the Take: Part 3" (2x04) at 2:53:58. Tiberius casts Slow.
- ↑ See "Attack on the Duergar Warcamp" (1x04) at 2:06:15. Tiberius casts Blight.
- ↑ Orion posted the stats for Glacial Blast on Twitter
- ↑ See "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01) at 1:11:39. Tiberius casts Glacial Blast.
- ↑ See "Yug'Voril Uncovered" (1x09) at 0:33:05. Tiberius casts Greater Invisibility.
- ↑ See "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01) at 2:08:00. Tiberius casts Stoneskin.
- ↑ See "The Throne Room" (1x07) at 2:28:57. Tiberius casts Watery Sphere.
- ↑ See "Trial of the Take: Part 3" (2x04) at 2:55:29. Tiberius casts Obelisk of Iron.
- ↑ See "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01) at 2:31:29. Tiberius casts Telekinesis.
- ↑ See "Escape from the Underdark" (1x13) at 2:06:03. Tiberius casts Teleportation Circle.
- ↑ See "Hubris" (2x01) at 2:25:00. Tiberius casts Chain Lightning.
- ↑ Fan art of Tiberius Stormwind, by Andrew Keller (source). Permission needed.
- ↑ Fan art of Allura and Tiberius, drawn by Wendy Sullivan Green and colored by John Wehr.
- ↑ Fan art of Tiberius comforting Keyleth, by Kit Buss (source). Permission needed.
- ↑ Fan art of Tiberius Stormwind, by David Rodrigues (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Tiberius Stormwind, by Andy Lee (source). Permission needed.