- This page is about the actor. For the character from a one-shot campaign, see Travis Willingham (character).
Travis Willingham (@willingblam) is a voice actor who plays the character Fjord on Critical Role. He played the character Grog Strongjaw in the first campaign. He was also the Dungeon Master for "Grog's One-Shot" (Sx26) where he—in-character as Grog—ran a game for some of the other members of Vox Machina.
Matthew Mercer's Pathfinder campaign, which evolved into Critical Role, was Travis's first time playing a pen-and-paper RPG. Travis chose to be a goliath barbarian because he wanted to be a big character that liked to drink and fight a lot.
Laura Bailey, who played Vex'ahlia in the first campaign, is married to Travis in real life. During a campaign session, the party encountered a room full of traps. Travis, as Grog, slapped Trinket's behind, sending Vex's beloved companion charging through the traps and suffering significant damage. Travis didn't realize how upset Laura would be or how attached she was to her imaginary bear, and she allegedly made Travis sleep on the couch that night when they went home.
Critical Role Edit
Travis's frequent, sometimes-calm and sometimes-dramatic, use of the phrase "I would like to rage" became an early and long-standing catchphrase for Grog and for all of Critical Role. It inspired multiple works of fan-made art and apparel. Other notable quotes include "I have an intelligence of 6; I know what I'm doing."
When asked if he could be any character besides Grog, Travis jokingly said he would be Trinket.
Travis's Player Characters Edit
Main Storyline Edit
- Grog Strongjaw, goliath barbarian/fighter (The Campaign of Vox Machina)
- Fjord, half-orc warlock (Campaign 2)
One-Shots and Special Episodes Edit
- Sydney Hopkins Trivelpiece ("Deadlands One-Shot" (Sx11))
- Travis Willingham (character), human fighter ("Liam's Quest!" (Sx12) and "Liam's Quest: Full Circle" (Sx16))
- Tarvis, half-orc rogue ("The Screw Job" (Sx15))
- Skak Scar-Artist ("Shadow of War One-Shot: Part 1" (Sx22) and "Part 2" (Sx23))
- Travis Willingham (vampire) ("Thursday by Night: Part 1" (Sx24) and "Part 2" (Sx25))
- Lokhor Windfallow, paladin ("Kobolds, Catacombs and Dragons (Oh My!)" (Sx29))
- On Talks Machina, the host Brian Wayne Foster likes to "#ThankMyGuests" with names that are either mispronounced or wordplay that sounds close to their names. Here are the names for Travis Willingham so far:
- Tarvis Wellingrod
- Ravish Twirlingman
- Ravish Twirlingham
- Trap His Quilting Hand
- Catpiss Woolyman
- Kravitz Fillinghand
- Krampus Thrillingvan
- Bad Wrist Drilling Hand
- Has His Quill in Hand
- Ravish Hulkingslam
- Travis Has Killed a Man
- Trapeze in Nottingham
- That Is Really Glam
- Talking Sword in Hand
- Texmex Warlockman
- Have This Mustang Man
- Dat Hex Killing, Man
- Fjather to be
- Badass Winning Hand
- Backstory Stalling-man
- That Eye’s Inside Me, Man!
- Hours before the livestream of "The Gates of Zadash" (9x08), Laura tweeted a D&D character sheet for "Baby Willingham", announcing her and Travis's pregnancy.
External Links Edit
- Critical Role's Travis Willingham: I'm gonna rearrange your fa–ooh shiny! (October 8, 2015)
- Critical Role's Travis Willingham: Where you've heard him before (February 24, 2016)
- ↑ See "The Family Business" (4x09) from 0:02:17 through 0:03:06.
- ↑ See "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01) at 0:41:21.
- ↑ See "Critical Role Q&A and Battle Royale!" (Sx08) from 1:13:38 through 1:14:05.
- ↑ See "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01) at 0:41:22.
- ↑ See "Test of Pride" (4x13) at 2:13:00.
- ↑ See "Aramente to Pyrah" (2x06) from 1:08:45 through 1:10:20.
- ↑ Laura tweeted a photo to announce her pregnancy, which Travis retweeted (source).