"Vax took to the cities, stealing small trinkets and learning the ways of the thief, while Vex kept to the woods. She preferred the isolation. Always the keen observer, she learned to hunt and to track, to spy and to shoot. And through a series of fateful events, earned herself a companion in the form of a bear—her own stolen Trinket—to fight alongside her and protect her fiercely. Also, he is adorable—and gives expert massages."
- –from Vex'ahlia's intro
Character Information Edit
Vex and Trinket became companions when Vex placed too much trust in poachers and ended up being captured by them. She managed to escape from the poachers' cage and eliminate two of them. She then found Trinket's mother, who was badly injured due to the poachers harvesting from her tortured but still-living body. Vex put the bear out of her misery before finding a young Trinket also in the cage. She rescued the cub, and they have since been close friends.
Before the Stream Edit
Trinket was nearly killed when Grog attempted to disarm a room full of traps by hitting the bear on his backside with the flat side of an axe, causing Trinket to charge straight into the traps, triggering all of them. Vex (and Laura) was very angry with Grog (and Travis) afterwards.
"Mascot of Whitestone" Edit
After the defeat of Vecna, Lady Vex'ahlia (as Baroness of Whitestone) declared Trinket to be the official mascot of Whitestone. Trinket would be memorialized for centuries after as "The Wonder Bear", with a statue in Whitestone. An annual festival was also begun to celebrate Trinket, "with bears all over the place" as Vex put it.
In "The Feast" (3x01), Vex taught Trinket a rolling attack that she named "Cannonball". As a trampling alternative to Multiattack, Trinket runs forward and curls into a ball in his segmented bulette armor, crashing through enemies in front of him that are his size or smaller, dealing bludgeoning damage to them all.
After receiving a boon from the bear spirit Orlan, Trinket gained several abilities. He now gets a damage boost from Vex'ahlia's Hunter's Mark; he can use his Primal Fury once per short rest to gain advantage on attacks as well as critical attacks on natural rolls of 19 or 20; and if he falls unconscious within 100 feet of Vex and Raven's Slumber then he is immediately transported inside the crystal and stabilized.
Notable Items Edit
- Trinket also appears as Matthew Mercer's player character in Critical Role One-Shot: Trinket's Honey Heist.
External Links Edit
- An interview with Critical Role's Trinket: If you can bear it (November 6, 2015)
- Dear Vox Machina: Ask Trinket (June 17, 2016)
- The Saga of Trinket — The surprising first meeting between Vex and her companion (August 3, 2016)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Laura Bailey explained the origin of Vex'ahlia and Trinket's relationship in a short story, "On the Matter of Trinket".
- ↑ See "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01) from 10:32 through 12:07.
- ↑ See "The Feast" (3x01) at 2:42:47. As an area-of-effect attack, Cannonball differs from the Trampling Attack used by several monsters in the 5th edition D&D Monster Manual, which affects only a single target.
- ↑ See "Skyward" (1x15) from 0:36:28 through 0:41:11.