Vasselheim is the capital of human civilization on the continent of Issylra. It is predominantly a religious city with several districts, each dedicated to a patron deity. Vasselheim is sometimes called the Dawn City or the Cradle of Faith, as it is considered the origin of civilization and various religions.
Appearance and Location Edit
Vasselheim takes some influence from real-world Norse culture. Located in the region of Othanzia, the city itself is built around a massive mountain called the Heaven's Stair approximately 20–30 miles inland from the Ozmit Sea. Vasselheim has many walls, varying in age and composition, armed with dragon-headed ballistae. The streets are unpaved and made mostly of packed mud. The only conventional way to enter the city is by foot, as the journey to Vasselheim is considered a religious pilgrimage. In the case of an emergency, a haphazard airship platform has been constructed on top of a mill.
Vasselheim has a large mining operation for cobalt in the mountain. Many of the stores tend to sell supplies for miners and workers that operate in the mountain.
The people of Vasselheim are generally rugged and stern. Many wear patchwork furs and have unkempt hair. The pious lifestyles and brutal environment of the Northwest make for hard living. Vasselheim has many guards, collectively called "the Bastion", that consist of volunteers from the various religions. The Bastions primarily operate within their respective districts but also serve as the militia if the city were to be attacked.
Notable Locations Edit
- Silver Talon's Reach: A district dedicated to the worship of Bahamut.
- The Braving Grounds District: The district dedicated to the worship of Kord.
- The Quadroads District: A district dedicated to the veneration of Erathis. The Slayer's Take Guild is located here.
- The Dusk Meadow District: The district dedicated to the worship of the goddess of death, Raven Queen.
- Temple to Sarenrae: A recently discovered ancient temple of Sarenrae. Pike led this temple's restoration efforts after arriving at Vasselheim and before returning to Emon.
- The Abundant Terrace: The agricultural district, dedicated to the worship of Melora, goddess of the wilderness and the sea.
Arcane Magic is largely frowned upon in Vasselheim. Mages aren't trusted, due to the fallout after the Age of Arcanum, so any public display of semi-powerful magic that isn't divine in nature will draw attention and require an explanation by the keepers of order. Small fines and minor jail time may ensue.
- ↑ The city's influence was revealed by Matthew Mercer on Twitter.
- ↑ See "Return to Vasselheim" (4x05) at 2:00:42. The Heaven's Stair was mentioned again at 2:02:05.
- ↑ See "Return to Vasselheim" (4x05) at 2:02:46.
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/criticalrole/comments/6q59bj/spoilers_e106_taldorei_campaign_setting_ama/dkv9tgz/?context=3