"Like so many half-elves, Vex'ahlia has spent most of her life suffering the cool reception of a people who don't fully accept her.
Born of a human mother and an elven father—who only later in life took an interest in their existence—, Vex'ahlia and her twin brother Vax'ildan quickly realized the only people they could truly rely on in this world were each other.
It was at the age of ten when the two were taken from their mother, and brought to live in Syngorn, the isolated elven city for which their father was an ambassador. He quietly took them in, but always kept an icy distance, and after too many years of disdainful looks, the pair decided to leave his indifference behind, and set out on their own.
Vax took to the cities, stealing small trinkets and learning the ways of the thief, while Vex kept to the woods. She preferred the isolation. Always the keen observer, she learned to hunt and to track, to spy and to shoot. And through a series of fateful events, earned herself a companion in the form of a bear—her own stolen Trinket—to fight alongside her and protect her fiercely. Also, he is adorable—and gives expert massages."
Vex'ahlia, like her twin brother Vax'ildan, is a twenty-eight year old half-elf. She is identical in appearance to Vax, albeit two inches shorter than him. She also wears her long, dark brown hair in a thick braid, which is usually accompanied with blue feathers. The feathers were a gift from Vax so he could help her through a dark period of her life, and she eventually gave them back by braiding them into his hair during his resurrection ritual.
After joining the Slayer's Take, Vex has the brand of the guild on her right arm.
Compared to Vax, Vex is the more pragmatic of the twins. She is very deceptive, and can usually bluff her way through various social encounters. Her charisma has also made her good at haggling.
Her tendency to haggle has made her quite frugal, almost miserly, which is the result of Vax and herself being ignored by their father and having to fend for themselves during their teenage years.
But beneath her flirtatious attitude and self-confidence lies a girl that feels broken and feeling unwanted. This stems from her upbringing growing up in Syngorn, where she and Vax had been judged not only due to their status as half-elves, but also due to being bastard children. But compared to her brother, Vex was easily more affected by the elves' treatment of her. As such, she developed a mentality where she would constantly try to make herself look like she came from money so that people would respect her. Such behavior has led to people assuming she was obsessed with wealth. Only a handful of people, like Percy, have ever truly known the kind of person she was.
Vex'ahlia's alignment was originally neutral good, just like Keyleth and Scanlan, but became chaotic neutral, like Grog and Tiberius, due to many behaviors and actions culminating in the theft of Gern Blanston's flying broom and then lying about it. After a long while, due to having reflected on her choices and making an effort to change herself, her alignment changed once more—this time to chaotic good—after showing genuine concern for two enslaved aasimar and wanting to save them.
Vex, along with her brother Vax, was born in the humble village of Byroden due to the union of a human woman named Elaina and an elven man named Syldor Vessar. The twins lived with Elaina for the first ten years of their life before they were sent to live in Syngorn, where their father lived.
After several years of cold reception from the Syngornian elves, the twins set off on their own. They returned to Byroden, only to see their childhood home destroyed and their mother gone. Upon learning that a dragon was responsible for the destruction, Vex'ahlia spent the next few years of her life studying about dragons in the chance that should she find the wyrm that killed Elaina, she would be able to exact revenge on them alongside her brother. Vax honed his skills as a rogue, whereas Vex honed her skills as a ranger.
For quite some time, Vax and Vex only truly relied on each other, but eventually the twins found their way to Stilben, where they met individuals that would later join them and become the foundation for the adventuring party Vox Machina.
Vex'ahlia is one of the ranged fighters of the party, excelling in using the longbow. However, her bear companion Trinket engages in close-ranged combat occasionally, although she prefers to keep him safe from enemies. Aside from this, she is one of the stealthier members in the group, and often will scout ahead of the group in order to get information on enemies.
Vex's favored terrain types are forests, mountains, and the Underdark. She is also an accomplished tracker, and can use her abilities to hunt her enemies. Vex is also fluent in several languages: Common, Elvish, Draconic, Abyssal, and Undercommon. She also learned how to use Thieves' Cant after learning from Vax.
Unofficially, she is the treasurer for Vox Machina, and often only gives cryptic answers when questioned by the group about how much gold they have.
Vex, like her brother, is bisexual. She has shown interest in Jarett Howarth, Zahra Hydris, and Percival de Rolo, and she has even flirted with everyone they have come across, a fact that was referenced when Vex refused to pretend to be Vax's wife for a ruse and Vax retorted that she "come[s] on to every human, orc, and half-elf in the entire kingdom."
Vex became the first party member to die outside of combat in "The Sunken Tomb" (4x06) when the party found one of the Vestiges of the Divergence, the Deathwalker's Ward, and tried to liberate it. Vex tried to search for traps, but Percy ended up triggering one by accident that damaged and killed her. Fortunately, Kashaw, who was traveling with the group at the time, managed to initiate a risky Revivify ritual for her, which ended up bringing her back to life.
Before the Stream Edit
Upon first arriving in Emon, Vex and Vax were briefly reunited with Syldor, the latter visiting the city for diplomatic reasons. The conversation was frosty, and the twins discovered that they now have a half-sister, Velora Vessar.
Vex was turned to stone by a basilisk. Vax was apparently very upset, but Vox Machina managed to free her by sprinkling the slain basilisk's blood on her eyes.
Trinket was nearly killed when Grog attempted to disarm a room full of traps by hitting the bear on his backside with the broad side of his axe, causing Trinket to charge straight into the traps, catching all of them. Vex was very angry with the goliath afterwards.
Chapter 1 Edit
Chapter 2 Edit
Chapter 3 Edit
Vex'ahlia started to develop feelings for Percival during Vox Machina's quest to kill the Briarwoods, as indicated by when she told him "Darling...take the mask off."
Chapter 4 Edit
Chapter 5 Edit
Chapter 6 Edit
Chapter 7 Edit
Chapter 8 Edit
Upon meeting Pelor in Elysium, the god of the sun and the harvest demanded to know if any in Vox Machina believed themselves worthy of being his Champion. Vex, overwhelmed in Pelor's presence, was speechless until Keyleth tried to claim the title of "Champion of Pelor". With Keyleth's encouragement, Vex agreed to be tested to see if she was worthy. The god deemed her worthy and granted his blessing to Vex.
Percival de Rolo Edit
- → Main article: Relationship between Percy and Vex'ahlia.
Vex and Percy have a history of casually flirting with each other, she more so than him. Percy also tends to make custom arrows for her. Over time, Vex developed genuine feelings for the gunslinger, as proven when she rejected Saundor and his advances, claiming that "[her] heart is someone else's", in addition to kissing him during his resurrection ritual. After Percy kissed her in the forest outside Draconia, their relationship soon grew into that of being lovers, even leading to their becoming intimate with each other for the first time prior to the siege of Emon.
- → Main article: Relationship between Trinket and Vex'ahlia.
Vex and Trinket became companions when she accidentally trusted poachers too much and ended up being captured by them. She killed the poachers, put the dying large female bear out of her misery, and saved her young cub. They have been together since.
- → Main article: Relationship between Vax'ildan and Vex'ahlia.
Vex and Vax usually work together when scouting and ambushing opponents. They haven't been separated for very long since birth, at least until after the events of "Hubris" (2x01), where they are forced to work with different groups of people.
Character Information Edit
Vex'ahlia, along with her brother Vax'ildan, was on a quest to kill Thordak, the ancient red dragon that killed their mother when it destroyed their home town of Byroden. This has since been fulfilled due to Vax slaying Thordak during the siege of Emon.
Years ago, Vex'ahlia was stalked by someone and marked for death by the Clasp. Vax dealt with the Clasp but the client is still out there. She has expressed an interest in finding out who that was and why they wanted her.
Notable Items Edit
Current Items Edit
- Bag of Colding
- Blazing Bowstring (made by Tiberius)
- Bloodseeking Bow
- Bracers of Archery
- Cloak of Elvenkind (given to her by Vax'ildan)
- Coldsnap Leather Armor (received from Scanlan)
- Death from Above (a broom of flying stolen from Gern Blanston)
- Earring of Whisper (made by Tiberius)
- Fenthras, Wrath of the Fey Warden
- Headband of Initiative (given to her by Percy)
- Longbow of the Sky Sentinel
- Mithral Chain
- Pointy Hat (like a witch's hat, given by Scanlan)
- Raven's Slumber (a magical necklace that belonged to Purvan Suul and can store a creature in a pocket dimension)
- Rope of Entanglement
- Tea Set of Envenoming (taken from General Krieg's house)
- White Dragon Leather Armor (enchanted by Taryon)
Former Items Edit
- Deck of Many Things (confiscated from Grog; later returned to Grog)
- Potion of Flying (taken from Anna Ripley) (Expended)
- Scrying Eye (taken from unnamed Clasp assassin's corpse, later given to Keyleth)
- Studded Leather Armor of Acid Resistance (traded to Scanlan)
As a ranger, Vex'ahlia often uses her magical capability to enhance her marksmanship and increase her arrows' attack damage. She is also capable of using Trinket in battle, even though she prefers not to put him in harm's way often. After watching and learning from her brother, she began to hone her skills as a rogue, becoming capable of deft maneuvers and dealing additional damage with a sneak attack. With her third rogue level, she took the archetype of the assassin just like her brother. After completing Pelor's trial and becoming his Champion, Vex'ahlia received the Blessing of the Dawnfather.
Half-elf Abilities Edit
- Fey Ancestry
Blessing of the Dawnfather Edit
- Natural resistance to necrotic damage
- As a bonus action you channel the light of day into your being. For one hour you emit bright light in a 120 ft radius and any evil creature within that radius that hits you with an attack or spell immediately suffers 4d6 radiant damage and is knocked prone. Once the ability is used, you can't use it again for another 7 days.
Ranger Abilities Edit
Class Features Edit
- Extra Attack
- Favored Enemy (Dragons (Draconic); demons (Abyssal))
- Fighting Style: Archery (+2 to ranged attack rolls)
- Hide in Plain Sight
- Land's Stride
- Natural Explorer (Forest; mountain; the Underdark)
- Primeval Awareness
- Ranger Archetype: Beast Master
- Skirmisher's Stealth (learned from Seeker Assum)
- Spellcasting (Wisdom-based ability)
Ranger Spells Edit
As a 13th-level ranger, Vex'ahlia knows up to 8 ranger spells at a time, and she can replace one spell each time she gains a level, so not all of these are currently known by her.
- Lesser Restoration
- Locate Object
- Pass without Trace
- Protection from Poison
- Spike Growth
- Grasping Vine
Rogue Abilities Edit
Class Features Edit
- Cunning Action
- Roguish Archetype: Assassin
- Bonus Proficiencies (Disguise kit, poisoner's kit)
- Sneak Attack (3d6)
- Thieves' Cant
- Uncanny Dodge
- Bramble Shot
- Oracle Shot
Arrow of Dragon Slaying(recovered from Rimefang's lair, expended successfully against Thordak)
Made by Percy
- Siege Arrow (named "An Evening of Unbridled Guilt")
Made by Tiberius
- Sleep Arrow
Made by Zahra
Arrow of Dragon Slaying(Given to Vex in "The Sunken Tomb" (4x06). Used against Umbrasyl. Another given to Vex in "The Siege of Emon" (6x09) and used (unsuccessfully) against Thordak.)
- "Darling...take the mask off." (Vex attempting to calm down an Orthax-possessed Percy; also, the moment when Vex started to become attracted to Percy)
- "I should have told you...it's yours." (confessing her love to Percy during his resurrection ritual; referencing when she told Saundor, "My heart is someone else's.")
- "Would you like to talk before...or after?"
- Vex'ahlia has the lowest strength score and lowest constitution score of any main player character thus far.
- The lowest strength score of any character on Critical Role is Shakäste.
- Vex'ahlia has given offerings at more resurrection rituals than any other characters.
- In the Critical Role Major Arcana Tarot Card Set, she represents XVII - The Star.
External Links Edit
- Critical Role: Vex's Soundtrack – A Rhapsody in Arrows (November 5, 2015)
- Dear Vox Machina: Ask Vex'ahlia (June 3, 2016)
- Vex'ahlia's Playlist 2016 – The Beauty in Chaos (December 2, 2016)
- ↑ See Dungeons & Dragons: Vox Style by Matthew Mercer at 2:06.
- ↑ Vex'ahlia's father is Syldor Vessar, but neither Vax nor Vex uses that surname. See "Into the Feywild" (5x03) at 3:07:28.
- ↑ Vex'ahlia is revealed to have married Percy during the year break, becoming a lady of the de Rolo family. See "The Fear of Isolation" (8x06) at 3:50:03.
- ↑ Laura Bailey confirmed in the Wrap-Up that Vex did indeed take the de Rolo name. See "Talks Machina: Campaign Wrap-up" at 3:17:19.
- ↑ See "Aramente to Pyrah" (2x06) at 1:20:14.
- ↑ See "Heredity and Hats" (5x04) at 54:40.
- ↑ Taliesin Jaffe clarified that it is "Grey", not "Great".
- ↑ See "Heredity and Hats" (5x04) at 1:01:10.
- ↑ See "Elysium" (8x05).
- ↑ See "The Frigid Doom" (5x08) at 2:49:35.
- ↑ See "A Bard's Lament" (7x01).
- ↑ Matthew Mercer tweeted confirmation of Vex'ahlia's multiclass levels.
- ↑ See "Clash at Daxio" (6x08).
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Laura Bailey stated in a Q&A that Vex'ahlia's alignment was neutral good. See "K'Varn Revealed" (1x10) at 3:29:46.
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Matthew Mercer confirmed on reddit that Vex'ahlia has officially shifted alignment to chaotic neutral.
- ↑ See "Where the Cards Fall" (6x06).
- ↑ See "Into the Greyspine Mines" (1x02) at 2:49:06.
- ↑ See "A Name Is Earned" (4x11) at 2:55:15.
- ↑ See "Strange Bedfellows" (1x03) at 0:35:56.
- ↑ "Thieves' Cant" is a 1st-level rogue class feature. See D&D: Player's Handbook, 5th ed., pp. 95–96.
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 Vax'ildan stated his age as 27 years old in "Whispers" (3x06) at 2:10:26. As his twin, Vex'ahlia would be the same age. Several months later, when Taryon said he was 28 years old in "Daring Days" (7x02), Vax said that they were the same age. While there was later a timeskip between "Jugs and Rods" (7x10) and "One Year Later..." (7x11), episode 95 begins at Winter's Crest, just over a year after Vax first stated his age, so he is still 28.
- ↑ See "The Sunken Tomb" (4x06) from 4:24:20 through 4:33:00. Vex's first resurrection.
- ↑ See "Raishan" (6x11) from 2:26:20 through 2:30:04. Vex's second resurrection.
- ↑ See "Race to the Tower" (8x03) at 3:44:16. Vex's third resurrection.
- ↑ See "The Sunken Tomb" (4x06) at 4:24:20.
- ↑ See "Raishan" (6x11) at 2:21:39.
- ↑ Vex was killed instantly by Vecna's Power Word Kill. See "Race to the Tower" (8x03) at 3:15:22.
- ↑ Liam O'Brien identified Byroden as the town where Vex and Vax grew up with their mother.
- ↑ See "One Year Later..." (7x11).
- ↑ Thinking Vax is going to die, Liam jokingly says he hears their mother, Elaina. See "In the Belly of the Beast" (4x16) from 4:11:49 through 4:12:24.
- ↑ See "The Fear of Isolation" (8x06).
- ↑ Vex'ahlia's level 14 stats were shown onscreen. See "A Cycle of Vengeance" (5x02) at 1:07:56.
- ↑ Vex'ahlia took her second level of Rogue. See "The Chase to Glintshore" (5x11) at 0:04:23.
- ↑ Vex'ahlia's level 16 stats were shown onscreen. See "Clash at Daxio" (6x08) at 0:52:37.
- ↑ Laura mentioned that her Wisdom modifier is +3, and she had taken a +2 to Wisdom at level 12. However, the character cards have yet to properly be updated. See "Raishan" (6x11).
- ↑ Vex'ahlia's level 17 stats were shown onscreen. See "Deals in the Dark" (7x08) at 2:55:40.
- ↑ Vex'ahlia took the Sharpshooter feat at level 17, making her a 4th-level Rogue. See "Bats out of Hell" (7x09) at 0:48:35.
- ↑ Vex'ahlia's level 18 stats were shown onscreen. See "Race to the Tower" (8x03) at 0:42:26.
- ↑ See "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01) from 10:44 through 12:07.
- ↑ See "Aramente to Pyrah" (2x06).
- ↑ Liam O'Brien clarified the twins' hair color. (source)
- ↑ See "Curious Tides" (7x05).
- ↑ See "Into the Feywild" (5x03).
- ↑ Laura Bailey tweeted that Vex'ahlia needs to find herself a man or a woman.
- ↑ Liam O'Brien confirmed in a tweet that Vex did in fact flirt with everyone during the home game.
- ↑ See "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01) at 58:09.
- ↑ See "The Story of Vox Machina" (Sx06) at 6:24.
- ↑ See "Attack on the Duergar Warcamp" (1x04) at 3:33:56.
- ↑ See Carpet Throwback by Liam O'Brien at 8:56.
- ↑ See "Elysium" (8x05).
- ↑ See "The Siege of Emon" (6x09).
- ↑ See "Desperate Measures" (4x02) at 2:38:21.
- ↑ See "Thordak" (6x10) from 3:19:49 through 3:22:32.
- ↑ See "Dangerous Dealings" (4x04) at 2:28:41.
- ↑ The spelling of "Blazing Bowstring" was obtained from Matthew Mercer's reddit comment on the interaction of the Blazing Bowstring with the Longbow of the Sky Sentinel.
- ↑ Obtained in the Underdark from the abyssal abomination. See "Glass and Bone" (1x08) at 2:46:34.
- ↑ See "Reunions" (3x10), part 1, at 0:46:02.
- ↑ See "In the Belly of the Beast" (4x16).
- ↑ See "Cindergrove Revisited" (4x08) from 2:54:19 through 2:55:55.
- ↑ See "The Echo Tree" (5x07) at 3:55:00.
- ↑ See "Gunpowder Plot" (3x08), part 2, at 0:40:55.
- ↑ Obtained in a stone giant fortress. See "The Sun Tree" (3x05) at 1:30:03.
- ↑ See "A Cycle of Vengeance" (5x02) at 3:15:40.
- ↑ See "Brawl in the Arches" (6x07).
- ↑ See "The Chase to Glintshore" (5x11) at 1:57:40.
- ↑ See "Omens" (4x01) at 2:05:44.
- ↑ See "One Year Later..." (7x11) at 0:32:42.
- ↑ See "What Lies Beneath the Surface" (6x12) at 1:21:05.
- ↑ See "Daring Days" (7x02) at 2:51:43.
- ↑ See "Reunions" (3x10), part 1, at 0:59:09.
- ↑ See "A Cycle of Vengeance" (5x02) at 2:51:45.
- ↑ See "Bats out of Hell" (7x09) at 0:48:35.
- ↑ See "Hubris" (2x01) at 2:03:50.
- ↑ See "The Sun Tree" (3x05) at 3:08:08.
- ↑ See "Glass and Bone" (1x08) at 1:16:55. Vex'ahlia used her Primeval Awareness ability.
- ↑ Trinket received the boon from protecting Vex from an astral bear spirit in the Feywild. See "Heredity and Hats" (5x04).
- ↑ See "Consequences and Cows" (3x03) at 3:36:55. Vex'ahlia casts Cure Wounds.
- ↑ See "Attack on the Duergar Warcamp" (1x04) at 2:21:18. Vex'ahlia casts Hail of Thorns.
- ↑ See "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01) at 2:32:25. Vex'ahlia casts Hunter's Mark.
- ↑ See "Into the Feywild" (5x03) at 1:13:00. Keyleth taught Vex'ahlia the Speak with Animals spell.
- ↑ See "The Ominous March" (8x10) at 00:58:54. Vex'ahlia casts Lesser Restoration.
- ↑ See "Path of Brass" (6x05) at 3:35:57. Vex'ahlia casts Locate Object.
- ↑ See "K'Varn Revealed" (1x10) at 1:26:27. Vex'ahlia casts Past without Trace.
- ↑ See "Into the Greyspine Mines" (1x02) at 0:16:23. Vex'ahlia casts Protection from Poison.
- ↑ See "Enter Vasselheim" (1x16) at 2:28:40. Vex'ahlia casts Spike Growth.
- ↑ See "In the Belly of the Beast" (4x16) at 3:12:15. Vex'ahlia casts Conjure Animals.
- ↑ See "The Throne Room" (1x07) at 2:53:40. Vex'ahlia casts Conjure Barrage.
- ↑ See "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01) at 2:32:32. Vex'ahlia casts Lightning Arrow.
- ↑ See "In the Belly of the Beast" (4x16) at 3:40:10. Vex'ahlia casts Grasping Vine.
- ↑ See "Trial of the Take: Part 2" (2x03) at 3:40:55.
- ↑ See "Thordak" (6x10).
- ↑ See "Attack on the Duergar Warcamp" (1x04) at 1:07:38. Ensnare/Trap/Trip Arrow made.
- ↑ On shooting the arrow, it bursts into a bolo that grapples the target. See "The Trick about Falling" (1x05) at 41:15. Ensnare/Trap/Trip Arrow used.
- ↑ See "The Trick about Falling" (1x05) at 1:17:27. Explosive Arrow made.
- ↑ See "The Trick about Falling" (1x05) at 2:00:30. Explosive Arrow used.
- ↑ See "Those Who Walk Away" (4x07) at 1:00:04.
- ↑ See "Those Who Walk Away" (4x07) at 1:41:35.
- ↑ See "The Sunken Tomb" (4x06) at 4:43:18.
- ↑ See "In the Belly of the Beast" (4x16) at 2:45:52.
- ↑ See "Best Laid Plans..." (4x12).
- ↑ See "Passed Through Fire" (5x13).
- ↑ See "Curious Tides" (7x05).
- ↑ Fan art of Vex'ahlia and Trinket, by Charlotte C. O. (source). Permission needed.
- ↑ Fan art of Vex'ahlia, by NLN4 (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Vax'ildan, Vex'ahlia, and Trinket, by Irania Carrazco (source). Permission needed.
- ↑ Fan art of Vex'ahlia flying on the broom she stole from Gern Blanston in "Cindergrove Revisited" (4x08), by Megzilla87 (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Vex'ahlia flying over the Feywild on Death from Above in "Into the Feywild" (5x03), by NLN4 (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Vex'ahlia and Trinket, by Andrew Keller (source). Permission needed.
- ↑ Fan art of Vex'ahlia, by David Rodrigues (source). Used with permission.